Emersed Chives- paludarium plant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
So, in building my paludarium on the deck- building my faux rock wall out of great stuff I glance over at the herb pot on the railing.

Completely flooded... idiot that I am forgot to poke holes in the bottom of the pot- herbs all died... except for the chives.

The chives- despite growing emersed in water for the last few months are growing like crazy and spreading to take over the entire pot.

Looks a nice "rush-like" plant... doesn't grow too tall- almost seems like a perfect paludarium plant. I broke a leaf to make sure it IS still chives and not some other invader plant... leaf smells like onions.

Has anyone grown chives in a paludarium? Can anyone think of a reason NOT to grow chives in a paludarium?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I'm quite confused.

The plants LOOK like chives- SMELL like chives... even TASTE like chives (haven't had to go to hospital yet after tasting it). There is the remains of an old flower head stem attached to one bunch that looks just like chive flowers...

... yet, everything I've read online about chives state that chives REQUIRE well drained soil.

These chives had been sitting emersed in water for months and are not just surviving- they're absolutely thriving!

Is their any other plant that looks/smells/tastes like chives that is emersable?

I think I got this plant from Lowes originally- yet it's ability to withstand bog-like conditions is truely remarkable for a plant that REQUIRES well drained sandy soil.

Very confused... nonetheless, I'm going to give it a try- it obviously survives water.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There is Crinum thaianum which smells like an onion but it has flatter leaves unlike the little round tubes of a chive. There are different types of Chive, ie Garlic Chive, but afaik all Allium species are recommended for well drained soil. If it's thriving just keep doing what you're doing!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
It does have round leaves- definately has the chive style flower too and was sold to me as chives.

As long as it won't poison the water it's worth a try - the one difference it will face when moved is it won't have the rich potting soil it is in now when it is moved to the aquarium. It will be mildly fertilized (invert tank so don't want to do EI method) and have a root tab nearby.

It's completely taking over the flooded pot it is in now- so I can definately spare a portion to place in the tank even if it doesn't make it.

As an aside- just read that Mint (spearmint/peppermint) does fabulous emersed too and even pansies and Impatiens can grow with their roots completely in the water... Pansies are for sale everywhere at the moment- and I've actually got some impatien seeds I never hatched from this spring.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Hey, I know this is old, but how did it go with the chives?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store