Question about RCS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sarahann31190

Animal collector
May 28, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
I assume it's normal for them to lose coloring throughout generations.
But even when I first got 10 of them, the next generation had barely any red.
Now with about 70 or more I only see about 3 or 4 that are red. The rest are clear. Is this normal?

I will be ordering more to introduce a new bloodline soon.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
When they are kept in a light environment, they often lighten up. Think of it as self-preservation. I bet if you switch them to dark sand or gravel or soil they will get dark

feiyang

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
When they are kept in a light environment, they often lighten up. Think of it as self-preservation. I bet if you switch them to dark sand or gravel or soil they will get dark
agree. also try to feed them some red color enrichment fish food.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I too agree that the substrate will darker them up. I've not had any color loss with subsequent generations of shrimps.

Sarahann31190

Animal collector
May 28, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
I will try switching the substrate. Even though I didn't have fun dealing with this tank last time. I switched them from a 5 to a 10 gallon. Took me about an hour just to catch all the shrimpys cuz I had tons of babies...no fun.

BandiCat

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Michigan USA
Do you have an really fine substrate or is it gravelly? My rcs tank has gravel and whenever i change the gravel, i do it in small bits. That way, i never have to move shrimp or worry about babies.

I've also never had color loss throughout the generations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store