Really worried about my MonoAngel - Argentus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

markvdb

major fish hobbiest
Hi, a bit worried about the dis-colouration of my Mono Argentus.
It is usually yellow on the dorsal fin, but its not, and has this dark colour.

The tank has another bigger Argentus and a bigger Sebae.

The Sebae doesn't really chase it, but the other Argentus does..

SIZE ISSUE?

//mark

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
Post your tank size, paramaters and stocking.. Also any changes you might have made in the passed few weeks. And maintenance schedule.

markvdb

major fish hobbiest
Hi there Robert04, thanks so much for getting back!
I could only get on today.

... They are in a small holding tank 8gal (30litres), while I slowly reduce the salt levels.
I am transfer them to my 32gal (120litre) tank. This is a community tank.

The small Argentus, has lost its colouring, and generally hides most of the time. The bigger Argentus chases the smaller one, and nips him. The smaller argentus is quick but has got small bite marks in fins.

I personally think the larger Argentus is trying to be dominant.

I did a water change Last friday and today. so around 30% of the water has now been changed. 7:3 ratio of salt to normal.

This tank has only got 3 fish.

markvdb

major fish hobbiest
Well it was too late for him!
Today when I fed them.. they were okay, got home 5hours later. and On the bottom he lay..
Resting his weary head on a pile of stones, but still breathing! - i was sad. I phoned the store I bought them from.. and they suggested I treat the water with general sonic, by Tetra.

I rushed to the shop (long story), and got back to find him - DEAD>. shame, if he had just hung on a little longer!
SO the water is Litmus green! And I'm assured that the tank will be fine!

Feeding them some Brine Shrimp this evening! :)

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
32 gallons is too small for those fish in the long run IMO. I would upgrade at least to a 50 if you can help it.

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Agree w/phoenix.. Monos need to be kept in large deep tanks. They also need to be kept in schools in order to stay healthy and avoid aggression toward one single fish. When stressed because of moving from tanks, being harassed or water conditions, Monos can turn dark in color and evidently die from the stressful conditions.

Monos may also turn darker at night.

markvdb

major fish hobbiest
Thanks, yeah.. this is just the temporary tank my big on the 32gal tank, is deep but very wide.
i'm building my own 50gal, later on in 2010, this will then be a brackishwater tank.

The other monos look okay for now, and I'll be buying similar sized monos in the new year - I have found a few petshops that sell them, i just hope they'll keep them there. :)

So, going black in colour is a bad sign..?

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
A permanent dark color is an indicator that something is wrong, it's the same as other fish that lose their luster or coloring due to stressful conditions.

Though I've read in books and online that Monos may turn a darker color in the evenings and return to normal in the morning..

markvdb

major fish hobbiest
@brackishwannbe
Thanks, this link is awesome!!

@everyone
I'm moving the two monos to the community tank. In late Jan.. as I am going on vacation :) SO dont wanna be stressed, or stress out the Monos..

I've just added 4 Rosey Tetra's and 4 Paradise Fish .. all good small size, should be awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store