Berried dwarf cray

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rose_levi2006

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
Minnesota
I woke up this morning and found my first dwarf cray. How long are dwarf crays berried for. Should i keep her in a breeder net with with java moss and a cave to hide in or will she be fine in the tank??

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
-is jealous-

I really want to start breeding these guys soon :)
Congrats on the babies! I think separating her in a breeder net would be stressful. I would wait until she's just about to release the babies then move her to another tank to raise them. I'm not sure how long they are berried. It's at least a few weeks.

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
Yeah, just leave her in the tank and make sure she has lots of hiding spots. From what I've read it's about 3+ weeks from berry to hatch then a few days before the babies scoot out on their own. I have a couple of berried cajun crays now and I'm waiting ever so (im)patiently for them to hatch :) It's fun watching the one in the RCS tank charge into a crowd of shrimp to swipe a pellet and then run off on it. Then she whips back and forth with her claws out warding off those nasty shrimp :D

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I just add tons and tons of wood and moss to my dwarf cray tanks. I leave the parents where they are and have copious amounts of baby crays. The key is providing more than enough hiding spots for them for after they molt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store