jellyfish invasion!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

country girl

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
my tank is being taken over by miniture jellyfish. I think its really neat, but does anyone know anything about these, I believe they are mangrove jellyfish, and can anyone tell me where in the world all these are "hatching" out from? there must be several hundred now.

A pic would indeed be nice. Many folks would love to keep jellies, but its next to impossible with current restraints and such. I would very much like to know what it is that you have in the tank.. Are they free floating, or stuck to rocks??

"J"

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
They will most likely be eaten by the fish or else will die off as jellyfish need a circular tank with a constant current and cool water. They will probably melt away soon. I would watch your tank params very closely for the next while as a massive die off of these jellyfish could lead to an ammonia spike.

country girl

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
dear "j"

these jellyfish are free-floting, although sometimes they sit on the bottom or the rocks for awhile. sometimes they sit on the glass. I'm not sure what they are, I think they're mangrove jellyfish, just don't know. they only seem to get about as big as "0", except perfectly round. they look like miniture mushrooms. the fish won't touch them. :)

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Sounds like maybe hydroids. They may be budding from sessile polyps in the live rock somewhere. This article by Ron Shimek discusses some oddball hitchhikers, and gives some links for more information. Let me know if I'm even close.

country girl

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
thanks for the reply, mogurnda. they look alot like to top four images on the "regular hydroid jellyfish". I don't see the small bright dots that are supposed to be visible around the periphery, though. I'll try to send some pics, although I'm not sure I know how, we'll see. thanks alot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store