Bettas getting sick at the same time - in separate tanks.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spanky37

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
New York
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I have 3 Bettas - Rocky, Fonky Monkey and Bluie. Rocky is about a year old and has never been sick. I got Funky and Bluie within the past month and when I got them home Funky became sick within 1 day. It was bacterial and we treated him and he's better. Then Bluie got sick w/ick, we also treated him and he's better. Now Rocky is sick and we are treating him - he has fungus. They are all in separate containers all 1/2 gallon and are next to each other. How come they all got sick at once? Are the diseases air borne? It's just strange that Rocky who has never been sick just became sick as the others got better. When I clean the tanks I put them in glass vases - could they be contaminated - or the net? I read that I should be putting Aquarium salt in the water to prevent these diseases - does that work? I never put salt in Rockys tank and he was disease free for over a year. Please let me know what I should do, I love my fish and want to make sure I'm giving them the best care possible.

Thanks again!! :)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
look for things in common, from the sounds of it you already have the answer. "the net"

they sell "dips" and other things to sterilize stuff between uses. using the same object for all the fish can very easily pass the problems around. when i helped my friend with her betta i used a disposable plastic cup to catch and hold it while i cleaned the tank, it might be something to try......

the fungus could also be bacterial in nature.... the ich is parasitic and fairly common. i have a feeling you should be treating all 3 fish now for everything. even if you can see no ich it could have been passed from the sounds of it. the one had a bacterial problem, the fungus could also be bacterial. even if it is a fungus you should treat all 3 for it....... shared objects = shared problems

sorry

the salt is pretty much only effective for ich, if that's what you used. i *personally* feel that it has some value as an antiseptic, but that is unproven at best. to put them on a salt diet now for anything other than a treatment is liable to do more harm than good. they are not salt water fish and this may lead to stress, which could open you up to even more problems. another thing, before someone mentions it, NO melafix. you need bettafix or to extremely dilute the melafix, in it's normal doses it can be harmful to bettas.

the best solution is to find a way to not share things. treat them all for the problems you have noted and keep them in clean, fresh water and unstressed. the fishs' immune system should do the rest.

good luck

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
just as a side note, you should also look into bigger containers if you can. petsmart and some other places have some fairly cheap "all-in-one" kind of units........

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shopping/aquariums___bowls/small_tanks/psearch.shtml

these will help maintain your water quality and add some aeration, but keep in mind that bettas breathe air, so they cant be entirely closed in.

the happier your fish is the healthier it will be. :)

Misskiwi67

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Rapid City, SD
Visit site
Salt is useful just in general to help fish... I tend to use it when they seem to have difficulties breathing due to stress. Careful how much you add though, I've heard it can dehydrate them. I'm not sure if thats true.

If you keep your bettas in 1/2 gallon tanks, make sure you're changing the water OFTEN. Weekly at the LEAST.

You found your culprit. The net. Your best bet is to get two nets. One for the healthy fish, and another for the sick fish. I wash with soap and water between cleanings. If I have netted a sick fish, I wash with soap and water, and let it sit unused for at least a week to dry and hopefully kill any water-loving yuckies.

For any other betta questions... check my signature. People are in the chat room almost every evening if you need a quick answer.

spanky37

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
New York
Visit site
Thank you!!

Thank you for the info. I have to find out what medication I used. It wasn't Betta fix (I tried that one on of my Bettas 2 months ago and the poor fish didn't last 2 days). I know it's not Melifix though. What ever we're using it seems to be working. I always keep the water very clean, so like you said it must be the net. I will disenfect the net and the vases too. I didn't realize how contageous these diseases were!!
Thanks again for your help!!

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
Originally posted by Misskiwi67
Salt is useful just in general to help fish... I tend to use it when they seem to have difficulties breathing due to stress. Careful how much you add though, I've heard it can dehydrate them. I'm not sure if thats true.
salt has been proven to help fish with the effects of nitrite poisoning, that would appear to be labored breathing........

i'm not sure of the dehydration, but salt in the water can change the "osmotic pressure". i read this when i was reading about ich. this could also help or hurt with the breathing...... i never really investigated.

edit: something you can look into, actually 2 things. there's a green goop the pet stores use to dip/soak the nets in the prevent transmission between tanks. you could also look into a mild bleach solution situation, but then you would still have to rinse well and possibly dechlorinate. it's more than likely cheaper and easier to wait for a sale at petco or something. nets are fairly cheap.

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Ewok...where did you find that info about melafix?

I've used melafix on my bettas forever....plus, its good to use on the most delicate of scaleless fish. Its main ingredient is natural - 1% tea tree oil. How does that negatively affect a betta (which is fairly hardy).

Just curious...don't take that the wrong way, please!:)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
this was written by a friend that raises and breeds bettas on the west coast. she also mods the betta forum at fishgeeks? at this point i have only vague scientific evidence to support it, and shared experiences.

http://aquaticadvice.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=260

the evidence sort of lies in the fact that the manufacturer produces both products and even tho they have released no "official statement", they have reduced the amount of melaleuca oil from 1% in the melafix to .2% in the bettafix. i trust tenojins experience and the fact that the other product is alot more diluted sort of speaks for itself. i haven't heard anything about a followup on the fact that they contacted the manufacturer tho.

and nahhhhh, nothing taken wrong. we all make mistakes. i try to err on the side of caution tho, so if i hear plausable warnings i try to pass them on.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Hmm....thats interesting. I will take a look at that thread.

Its just that I've heard from numerous people that it is fine to use. In fact, I had never heard your comment before. Like I said, i use it in all my tanks and even have it in with the new female betta as we speak. Again, not saying you're wrong...

An idea that occurs to me is this:

i've heard of bettafix being used as a precautionary type thing. All of my LFS around here keep it in the betta cups at all times. I am thinking that is why they would have reduced the concentration. To move it from a treatment to a precautionary thing. Like a soother/stresscoat.

Plus, I honestly wouldn't put it past them to create a new target aimed specifically at one species since it means more moola for them;)

I don't know...my experience says it's fine to use:confused: In fact, I've used it at double strength before on a particularly desperate (and weak) case. (That would be Mr. Red....I bought him with literally no fins...he ahd the worst case of fin rot I've ever seen:()

And i totally understand you're just trying to pass on helpful info! As am I. lol:)

EDIT: read the thread. The only thing I see with this is that the no melafix thing would then apply to all labrynth fish. And I know that melafix is very often used on gouramis and other airbreathers. I have done this personally as well, both to heal fins and to help prevent secondary infections from parasites/wounds.

I'm just skeptical that something that is so diluted whenyou get down to it (99% inert ingredients) and that can be used on the weakest of small, scaleless fish could cause a death or injury to a betta - which has perhaps some of the least picky needs and is often the least susceptible to many diseases/negative effects of medications. Also, with it being melaleuca oil, that stuff is pretty mild, or as far as I'm aware, it is.

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
http://www.bettatalk.com/answer104.htm

They say that they've used melafix on their bettas...

Other links...
http://www.bettastarz.com/diseases.htm

http://www.deepbluebettas.com/spawn.shtml

These just suggest using it in with bettas..and bettas that are spawning...in which case, the babies would be in with it too.

"The all-natural healing properties of tea tree extract make this botanical fresh and saltwater aquarium fish treatment an ideal remedy for Fish and Tail Rot, Open Red Sores, Open Body Wounds, Eye Cloud, Popeye, Body Slime, and Mouth Fungus! It is so gentle that it will not affect the waters pH balance, and is completely safe for snails and other invertebrates, as well as live aquarium plants. Rapid healing results. Ideal for introducing new fish to the aquarium. "

Thats from http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a414807.html

I'm simply assuming here, that if it is okay for snails and inverts...as well as live plants (which I can attest that it is - I've got it in a 10g planted right now) that it should be okay for bettas?

I'm gonna try and look for some more too. I'm honestly not trying to argue with you...just to find the truth! (I've had a lot of people jump on my back lately, so I'm trying to stress the fact that I'm not trying to be a witch!)

I am thinking about contacting the people over at topbettas.com to see if they've got anything to add on the subject. It will be interesting to see:)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store