Snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

babysteps

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
Canada
I've decided that I'd like to add some snails to my tanks. But I have a few questions first since I've never had snails.

1) What is the best type of snail, that is readily available and easy to acquire, that gets to a good size, visually appealing, and doesn't breed like rabbits? (some breeding is ok and expected, but I don't want my tanks taken over by snails).

2) Can I add said snails to my ancistrus tank without fear of them munching on eggs or baby bn fry? I'm already having enough trouble with my male not knowing what he is doing, but when I do eventually get a successful spawn that hatches, I don't want to be worried about them being eaten by snails.

3) I also would like a few snails in my goldfish tank, which is obviously cold water with no heater. Would this be ok or do they need tropical temps?

4) What do they eat? I know about snail jello (some recipes would be appreciated too) but is there anything else in particular or will they just eat what I put in the tank for the other fish?

Thanks

Edit* Just for reference, all my tanks have fake plants. No real ones. I'm not sure if this will affect which species I can get, but I wanted to include it just in case.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Hello, you can find all the info you want and more in the invert forum under freshwater topics. I'd like to add to get you started, alot of people like the mystery snail aka apple snail, or pomecea diffusa (briggs they're often called from the old name for them). They get to be the size of a golf ball, come in a rainbow of colors, and are plant friendly (if you decide to go with real plants later). They are easy to aquire, are no shipping restrictions, seem to ship well and are relativly cheap. They are not asexual so you will have males and females and is possible that you could get all of one kind so no chance of mating. Some are very good at sexing snails, I however, am not unless they are in the "act" then its pretty easy to tell. They do love snail jello, there are lots of recipies in the invert sticky written up by one of our most knowledgeable members/moderators. My recipe:

2 jars of stage 2 baby food, mixed veggie, squash, greenbeans, peas and carrots etc. whatever you want to use the more calcium content the better.
1 .25oz packet of gelatin (come in a box of 4 where I get them)
1 teaspoon or so of crushed up Ken's earthworm sticks
2 big pinches of random flake fish food
3-4 wild berry tums, crushed up
couple small chunks of frozen blood worms and/or brine shrimp thawed

heat baby food and frozen goodies in a microwave safe bowl about 1 min. Untill hot. Crush all dry ingredients except gelatin into a powder and add to hot babyfood mix. Slowly add gelatin stirring slowly untill disoved. If you stir too fast you get air bubbles and the stuff will float, if you add gelatin too fast it will clump and you will have a heck of a time getting it to disolve. I like to line a 9x9 baking dish with wax paper and pour in the hot mix. Refridgerate overnight. When cool and set, remove the jello on the wax paper and cut into postage stamp sized pieces with a pizza cutter. The wax paper makes it really easy to get them out of the pan, trust me. Freeze and feed when needed.

They also love rinsed, canned green beans, blanched zucchini, pumpkin, carrots etc. The do like to graze on algae and drifwood but are not algae eaters by any means, and they do clean up some of the leftover fish food.

They do prefer warm water but I have kept them in a unheated tank just fine. It was not cooled by any means but had no outside heat source.

Wow, if I've left anything out I'm sure you'll find it in the invert section if someone else doesn't chime in. Good luck.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Great info! Thinking on getting a snail for my tank 2.

huffmagx

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Georgia
I love Briggsi for many of the reasons that were mentioned above plus they have such cute little faces!

I also like many other types of snails like tylo ( rabbits some folks call them) but they do like warmer water so a heater in my area ( Ga) is a must for them.

I like ramshorn snails in pretty colors like red/pink/blue too.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If your goldfish are fancy types, an ideal temperature bracket is 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit. It's good enough for some nerite species (minus the horned ones whose spines can injure the fish) and Pomacea diffusa. Be sure your snails are bigger than your goldfish's mouths or else they will choke to death. Bladder snails, MTS and ramshorns may not suit well for this reason. Apple snails and nerite snails that do not have spines are your best bets.

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
I love to add a few MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) to all of my tanks. Also a few colorful Briggs are always nice.

Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store