Have That Nasty Cryo Bacteria Again!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
Have that red slime back in my new tank and I don't want to use chemicals to get rid of it this time. The last tank I had it in I think I was wasting my money on that stuff. It'll work at first but then its back. What else can I do. My water flow seems to be there so I really don't know else is really causing the stuff other than the lights. I have cut the time they are on to nearly half. Use to have the lights on from 6am to 10pm but now they are on less than 12hrs a day. Only have one fish in my tank along with some snails. :1zhelp:

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I am not normally a great fan of about.com but <a href=http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diatomandslimemicroalgae/a/redslimealgae.htm>this post</a> seems to have a sensible approach to the situation. Which is to say, the proposed solutions are long-term and somewhat tedious.... :)

His emphasis is on eliminating the underlying problem that is causing the slime to grow rather than just getting rid of the slime itself. Which as you have noted involves nasty and expensive chemicals and usually does not work in the long term anyway.

good luck...

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
hmm, note to self, straight HTML links do not work here. Use chain button above...
(smacks forehead, puts self in corner with pointy hat on.)

meera

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2009
Either your tank is relatively new - no worries if this is the case. My tank went through a breakout of it. I almost cried because it came at the worst possible time.....when I had guests over!

Cut down on feeding. Excess food "juices" can attribute to the slime.

Bottom line, cyano is a result of excess nutrients in the water that help it to grow and multiply.

I would suggest bumping up the water changes (what type of water do you use to change water) to once a week at 10-25%.
Or smaller, daily water changes.
Hand removing the slime is another way to bring the colony down.
Use a turkey baster and SUCK the slime up, do not blow it or it will just spread through out the tank.
You lights should be on for 10 hours a day.
What's your temperature set to? Warmer temps will help it grow faster.

I hope this helps.....

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Meera is absolutely correct.
Also, this is not technically an "algae" but a bacteria. I don't think there is anything that will eat it.
I've had my tank for six years and I still get cyno. I've used chemicals and everything. I am a bit lazy when it comes to water changes ;), but it's at the point that I just live with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store