20g newbie tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
Just started a 20g tank this wednesday and total newbie so any help would be great as im a fw guru not a sw one lol. I had this tank as a fw tank but decided to go to sw finally since ive wanted one for years i finally got started this week. I built this stand for the 20g about 1 month ago and finally put it to good use.

heres my current tank info

20 high
1-65watt compact fixture 10,000k
1-ac 50 hob filter
1- koralia 2 pump
1- 100w heater
20lbs caribsea fiji pink
17lbs live rock

debating on doing soft corals or just leaving it fowlr. the cost is so much more compared to my fw tanks i may just stay with the rock and fish for a year until i can get a larger tank and more money to burn lol. since i already have 9 fw tanks i have alot to deal with already but im sure the sw will make me want more sw than fresh.
went to sea critters depot today and picked up the rock so im in the cycle mode for now but atleast im finally getting there!
im sure ill get one more larger piece of rock in 3 weeks, since i have already moved the rock around about 6 times today im leaving it like it is till i get another big piece. hard for me to make up my mind on how i like it sitting lol.

heres a few pics of the tank/stand and new rocks just added today. ill be posting pics as i go so i can keep up with my tank here like a journal, if i write it down ill just loose it so its better online where it cant be lost lol.
diy stand and hood

closeup of wrinkle plus paint, automotive paint sold at most stores.

new rock nice and snug so no fall overs should occur lets hope!

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
since i set up the tank wednesday i want to keep a good journal since i will forget the changes i made lol.

today got my pound of mixed dead coral for 9.00 on ebay and added it today so it looks alittle better now and more filled in for sure after i movef some of it around a few times.

i checked some water parimeters and this is what i have so far.

salinity 1.028
ph 8.2
nitrite 0
nitrate 10ppm
calcium 480

i havent checked the ammonia yet.

since im a total newbie how long before i can add a fish to cycle? i figure now but want to be sure, thanks

Last edited:

meera

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2009
Assuming that your LR is cured, you want the tank to mature and cycle.
Adding a fish to an uncycled tank would cause any livestock to be subjected to ammonia poisoning and severe stress.
Usually it takes about 4-6 weeks.
Test every other day to see the progress.

Right now, the main concern is to bring the nitrogen cycle to life.
Live rock itself will help start the cycle.
Allowing a small piece of prawn/shrimp to "rot" in the tank will also help to bump up the cycle.
If you go this method, I would suggest placing the piece of shrimp in a piece of pantyhose and tie it off - it's not a pretty sight if you let it just rot in the tank. On top of that, do not place it on the live rock or sand, suspend it in the water using a veggie clip or whatever.

You should then see a spike in your ammonia.
Shortly after, the ammonia will be converted into nitrites.
After that, the nitrites should go down and the nitrates should be up.
A large water change after the ammonia/nitrite spikes should bring the nitrates down.
Only then, I would consider it safe to add A fish.
Once you add a fish, your tank will most likely go through a "mini" cycle.
That goes for any fish you add and any piece of live rock you add.
Best to stock VERY, VERY slowly.
Saltwater is extremely touchy compared to freshwater.
Patience is the best weapon you can have in saltwater.

The suggested water parameters you will want to meet:
SG: 1.023-1.025 (yours is a little high right now - if you will go along the coral route, 1.025 is best. FOWLR 1.023, though some go as low as 1.021)
Temp: 79-82
Good water flow (you've got a good powerhead)
Filtration: There are many different arguments/routes to go with since you have a 20 gallon. Some would suggest to use nothing and let the live rock be the natural filtration (provided there's a good amount of water flow). Some would say you need a protein skimmer. Protein skimmer is, in my opinion, one of the best saltwater filtration methods. It chops the water to remove DOCs (dissolved organic compounds - fish waste, uneaten food, etc.).
Lighting: Depends on what you want to stock. I would suggest leaving them on for 10 hours a day.

As for now, have patience and keep testing.
While you wait, be sure to research what livestock you wish to keep.
Be wary of their diets - some are difficult to feed/herbivore vs. carnivore, etc.

As for now....look into a "clean up crew". Snails, crabs, hermits, etc.
They will only help to clean algae, sift sand, etc.

Hope this helps and keep us posted!

Last edited:

peasofme

AC Members
Aug 5, 2006
fremont,california
looks great so far

10 gallon kit at walmart $40. hydrometer $10. adjustable heater $20. aragonite sand 1-2" $20. 10 lbs washed bowl/lace rock $20. food $10. sea salt $20. thermometer $2. coral frags $10 each. crabs are trouble, even hermits, scarlet hermit $3 being the most friendly. shrimps are wimpy, some eat corals such as peppermint shrimps. snails are good, nassarius vibex $2 are fast and fun. 1 large mexican turbo snail $3 per 10 gallons will keep algae in check but only get it if you have an algae problem. you could get 2 for a 10g. bristle worms are good, free if you ask your store. you could have small serpent/brittle stars $10 each. maybe 1 tiny emerald crab $6. some other starfish are reef safe $20. for fish i would only put one fish in there as more would introduce disease, fighting. bicolor blenny is an awesome fish $15. green chromis $4. freshwater master kit from walmart.com $15. you will need the saltwater test cards for it. they are online somewhere or you could email the company. chaeto for nitrate export $10 shipped from many forums like this one.

set everything up. have everything running. put in a table spoon of fish flake food to start up the nitrogen cycle. every day add a small pinch of food. after a month test ammonia. if zero then test nitrite. if zero then test nitrate. if less than 40 you are ok. remove all detrius, flake food from the tank with a small white brine shrimp net $5. do not remove sand. do not use anything in your filter including the carbon/cotton insert they give you. you can float the biological filter in the tank so bacteria can build on it.

do not add anything living to your tank until the cycle is complete = ammonia and nitrite = zero. float whatever you put in your tank for 20 mins to temperature match. first add a snail to test the water. if it lives for a week you are good. then you can add more snails, crabs, corals, fish, etc.
it is recommended to do a 10% water change every week. water evaporates every day so remember to add non-salted water to make up for it. specific gravity 1.022-1.024 temperature of 76-78

things you can upgrade: lights, ro/di unit or distilled water

easy corals: mushrooms, zoos, green star polyps, gorgonia, soft corals. good website for checking liveaquaria.com

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
ammonia is 0.25 right now

i was told i wouldnt go through a cycle with the live rock and sand at all and to leave the tank alone for a month before i do anything to it at all to the tank.
i dont want to do the shrimp method it stinks bad i hear so i guess ill leave it alone for a month and test the water weekly.

what should i use in the hob filter nothing?

peasofme

AC Members
Aug 5, 2006
fremont,california
you will go through a cycle but you do not need to add shrimp or food to the cycle. as things die on the live rock you will have things cycling. the shrimp method is horrible btw. it slimes ur entire tank and is impossible to clean up. i did it and had to re-cycle my tank. i use nothing in the filter cause its a pain to keep it unclogged. if you dont care about the trouble you can put the filter media insert in there to block the activated carbon from coming out. you can also catch detrius in the filter by putting a brine shrimp net in it. i used to do this but got sick of cleaning it out. when ammonia and nitrite is zero the cycle is 'complete' some people wait another week or two for stabilization.

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
since its been over a month now the tank has been setup heres some new pics and pics of the corals, inverts ive added since then

2 emerald crabs today for 2.00! great price for petco!
1 huge turbo snail
1 cerith snail
1 astraea snail
4 freeby blue leg hermits
2lb rock pieces

using the ahsupply 65watt fixture with 12k bulb now and water par are perfect for the last 3 weeks, i can only pray they stay that way lol

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
AWW You got such a good pic of one of the crabs ... :) Great job . I love watching your tank, maybye one day I will have the guts to do one for me .... lol

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
since i havent updated in awhile heres some old/new pics!
feb 14th, added a pulsating zenia, 4lbs rock,purple boring urchin, nassirus snails,
finger leather.

march 6th 2010
I figured it up and i have right about 600.00 in the whole setup tank,stand,light,skimmer,powerhead,
35lb of rocks,fish,snails,urchin,sand,supplimets,food,test kits etc.
everything is going great and im totally happy with the tank after only 3 months, i thought it would take me about a year to be where i am now lol.
new additions
reef octopus hob skimmer
24" dual 65watt fixture
12 lbs of rock i got from "a pet store" in sumter sc. the most corraline algae covered rocks ive ever seen for 5.00 lb, i mean purple lol
3 bar gobies
yellow poylps
purple polyp?
misc mushrooms

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store