im going nuts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GreenTerr0

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
ok this is getting crazy these white silverish dots on my tri colour sharks keep reoccuring, not on any of the other fish i have, only these two... theres only like 5 marks on them... tiny ones like grains of salt. ive treated the tank with aquarium salt and increased the temperature to 80 degree, the salt bath has been going on for a week, theyre totally fine though, swimming around normally and eating just fine no scratching on the gravel or tons of granite pieces i have in the tank. can someone help me here bc im going nuts.. i wanna add new fish and plants but im waiting!

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
Maybe you should switch over to an ich medication. My tank got ich a few weeks ago when I was bad and didn't quarantine new fish. I used Quick Cure for two days and it completely cleared up and did not come back.

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Those things are very prone to Ich. If it is Ich, isn't the normal treatment 86F for two weeks after all symptoms are gone? How much salt are you using and do you have plenty of aeration?

GreenTerr0

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
I can't get my tank above 80 with my two heaters! I have them cranked lol, also I've put one teaspoon for every 5 gallons, probably even more actually... And I've read the salt bath should last 10 days

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
If those sharks aren't too sensitive to salt, I would think a 2 tablespoons/5G would be more appropriate (if not even more). Also - may want to get another heater as most strains of Ich die at temps above 85F. All you're doing now is speeding up their life cycle and I don't think that salt content is nearly enough to kill the Ich.

If you increase the salt, do it slowly over a two day period and watch for stress.

I can't get my tank above 80 with my two heaters! I have them cranked lol, also I've put one teaspoon for every 5 gallons, probably even more actually... And I've read the salt bath should last 10 days

aquamate

Newbie on the block
Nov 12, 2009
A rural town in India
Suggestion. 86 degF and 2.5 tsp/gallon

If those sharks aren't too sensitive to salt, I would think a 2 tablespoons/5G would be more appropriate (if not even more). Also - may want to get another heater as most strains of Ich die at temps above 85F. All you're doing now is speeding up their life cycle and I don't think that salt content is nearly enough to kill the Ich.

If you increase the salt, do it slowly over a two day period and watch for stress.
I had pretty severe case of itch in 4 fishes in my new tank. Raising the temperature to 86 degF and slowly adding aquarium salt to 2.5 tsp per gallon caused the ich spots to disappear in 3 days and maintaining the same for 2 weeks has gotten rid of the ich in my tank.

Note: Just read up/ask if your fish can tolerate the temperature and salt. Also, after doing the above, watch your fish for signs of stress.
My goldfish, angels, swordtails, platys and mollys don't have any problem with the above treatment.

Also, I'd suggest not adding any new fish until you've eradicated the ich from your tank. Or else the newcomers will be also infected with it.

I would suggest using medications as a last resort because I've heard they can sometimes destroy the beneficial nitrifying bacteria in the tank.

Hope this helps.

aquamate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store