longhorn yellow cowfish..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paulhoff

AC Members
Feb 10, 2009
England
hi i've just bought a tiny longhorn yellow cowfish against my better judgement as i know they are no hardy fish. does anyone have any advice of tips on how i can make sure he gets his share of food and anything else you might think useful for me to know, thanks in advance

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Low flow tank so they don't get blown around and non aggressive tank mates because he can't out swim just about any fish if being harassed. I remember mine really liking bloodworms soaked in vitamins, but I know just because mine liked those doesn't mean they all will.

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
I used to have one, and mine used to come eat right out of a baster. It made feeding pretty easy. Just make sure you don't have any aggressive or "hyper" fish with it like wrasse or damsels. I had mine in with two perculas, three chronis and a tang. They do stress out a little easy. Good luck! They are awesome fish!

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Mine ate like a pig, anything it could get it's mouth on, including all my clams!
Intakes are their biggest enemy IMO, mine would chew on algae film on intake screen all the time, despite the fact it often got sucked onto it and needed to be rescued, and did this apparently one time too many.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The toxicity of Cowfish is vastly overrated due to their being related to the Boxfish of the genus Ostracion which really can wipe out a tank.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Exactly.. I heard the same "doom and glood via toxins" early on but when mine died nothing was affected.. then I started asking around and never could find a single person that had a cowfish that had died in their tanks cause any problems, well, any more problems than any other dead fish would cause. So I agree, the toxicity of the Cow Boxfish is vastly overstated. Other boxfish sure.. like the famous Neutron Bomb Boxfish (Ostraction Meleagris) that released such a deadly amount of toxins that if put in an aqaurium everything would be dead in minutes if it were to release them from being stressed.

However, in a closed aquarium system they have nowhere to go and the poison not only kills EVERYTHING else in your tank, it kills the Box Fish too. When it's all over all that's left standing are the rocks and decorations, thus our name the "Neutron Bomb" Box Fish. Believe it or not, even with this nasty trait it is a fish very much in demand by aquarists'.

paulhoff

AC Members
Feb 10, 2009
England
when i put him in the tank my most agressive fish a orange striped cardinal charged straight over to investigate, my heart was in my mouth as it looked like he made a bite at him but soon shot off. i think he is now more scared of my litle cow, bless him lol

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store