Neons have something weird going on around tail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Hey all!
Just noticed today that 2 of my 5 neon tetras have....something....going on around their caudal peduncles. I can't tell what this is... :huh:
I've had ich before, but that is usually all over, and this seems restricted to the caudal fin. Plus, it seems both white and grayish, maybe even a little black. Very strange. I'm stumped on this one!
:1zhelp:please help!:1zhelp:

First photo - Note white spots around caudal peduncle

Second Photo- Look at all the white! This is the other fish, who seems to have it worse.

Third photo- Look at the weird gray stuff in this photo... what is that?

Fourth Photo- Closeup.... what the heck is this????

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
man, i cannot believe you got such good shots of neons!!! What are the tank specs; size, temp, inhabitants, new additoins, maintenance, etc. I dont' think that looks like fungus at all.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
man, i cannot believe you got such good shots of neons!!! What are the tank specs; size, temp, inhabitants, new additoins, maintenance, etc. I dont' think that looks like fungus at all.
Lol, it was NOT easy! They are like little ninjas, and very camera shy. Plus, the blue ram is very camera FRIENDLY, and loves to block my shots! :lol2:

Okay. To the specs.
Tank - 20 gallon long, running 2 AC50s
Temp is around 81-82 F
Stock is 1 blue ram, 9 (?) kuhli loaches, 5 neon tetras, 7 endlers, 1 brig snail, 1 amano shrimp, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 horned nerite, and bunches of mts
Tank is well lit, and well planted. Here is a recent image (the breeder net has been removed, as I have set up a 10 gal for the fry)

New additions were the 2 blue rams, one of which died of unknown causes (Just stopped eating, got listless). I....urm.....didn't quarantine.... *prepares for the assault*
Tank gets a water change at least once a week, around 40-50%. Filters cleaned monthly. Since the Python doesn't seem to suck very hard, I also use a turkey baster to suck up bamboo shrimp poos. Anyone who has bamboos knows what I'm talking about.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
As flukes are really common in rams, I would guess that is your problem. Skin flukes can cause symptoms like dulling of color, redness, sometimes (but not always) flashing. You can do salt treatment and prazipro might be a good idea. Have you noticed any increase in respiration?

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Well, the rams do (and did) seem to be be pretty 'heavy breathers'. Hard to tell on the neons. Whatever is on the tail of the one seems to be '3d', if you will. It sticks out a bit, lumpy or something.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Is there a 'kill all' medicine that would nuke anything that it could be?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
fluke tabs are praziquantel I believe. I would do a salt treatment and prazi pro. The increased respiration can be gill flukes. Often they are present in wild caught fish but with the dilution in the wild don't cause issues, but once they are in the tank they reproduce and then can cause issues.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Probably want to do this in the main tank then? In case they are hiding out somewhere? Is the prazipro safe for inverts and kuhlis?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store