Re-caulk treated aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
When I had my saltwater setup and the fish had ich I wanted to treat them so I ended up dying the caulk in my 20 gallon blue. I have gotten out of saltwater for now and want that 20 gallon for a small freshwater system so I decided to re-caulk it.
I would have to say that it was not hard at all. I did take a couple of pictures because I know how everyone likes them even if it is only caulk and glass seams. The type of caulk I used was a simple 100% silicone from Lowes.
it was pretty simple and i did end up using regular masking tape for the seams that would be seen that really made a nice edge.

caulk.jpg caulk2.jpg tank 006.jpg tank 004.jpg tank 008.jpg tank 002.jpg

Lanaka

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
A word of advice to readers, when cutting the old caulk, try NOT cut into the caulk that is between the glasses. Unless you are planning to take it apart and recaulk the connecting bond, don't cut into it or you'll have leaks as the glass shifts under the water load. I had to completely take my tank apart after cutting into the connecting part of the old caulk, clean strip off all of the old caulk, then reassemble the tank panel by panel with new bonding caulk between the glass, THEN apply sealing caulk in the corners. A big pain in the *** project over several days when it couldve been a simple <1 day project.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A clean, neat looking job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store