URGENT!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
URGENT! help!! Save the one that's left!

OK, this morning I woke up and looked at my tank. The puffer with the weird spot seems ok, but the one that was fine yesterday is in trouble!
The only problems I've seen with this guy was that he puffed up for a long time when I let him in this tank and out of his bag. Other than that and the fact that he was climbing walls he seemed ok. I figured he was just stressed, I put some stress coat in the tank and left him alone. They've eaten like 2 baby shrimp and I think 3 of the baby mollies that were hiding in the tank as I can't find them. The other fish ate most of the shrimp though.
What's wrong with it?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZoDr0d3fn0

ETA That one's dead. Help me figure out what's wrong and save the other.

Last edited:

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
OK, now puffer that was floating is very very still on the bottom of the tank. Dead things float, right? I'm so upset, yall have no idea how long I've waited for these fish!

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
I dont know if i should even ask... Have you read anything about fish? how is your water? to me it looks like your puffer is almost dead. im sure others will want to know the same.

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
Yes, I've been reading on these guys in particular for nearly a year, since a friend gave me one not knowing anything about it as a gift (when they started selling them at walmart >.<)
After that I started reading all sorts of articles on these guys. I have had this empty tank for months all cycled and ready to go just waiting for my lfs to finally get some in for me.
Not sure on my water parameters atm, I lost the sheet where I last wrote everything down, but Im about to check again. I know my salinity is 1.018, but I was just about to pull out my test kit to check everything again.

eta:
Amonia is at 0
NO2 is <3.3
pH is somewhere between 7.4 and 7.7, closer to 7.7 though.
CO2 content...not sure. It took either 6 ot 7 drops, and if the pH is 7.7 that means it's 4, which is bad, but if the pH is 7.5 then its 6 ot 7 which is good. So that's a close call. I'm right at the edge there either way. So that's the worst of it I've found so far.

Last edited:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
What was the problem?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Yeah, we all want to know? Did the fish make it?

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
The problem was my salinity. I was retarded and still had my tank set up for a gsp. I made a last minute decision to switch to f8, and assumed they needed the same parameters since they seemed so simmilar. As of now the surviving fish and the replacement seem ok. Surviving fish (Scooty Puff Jr.) is swimming around normally and has really come out of hiding. He's crunching away at some freeze dried shrimp right now. My snails aren't hatched yet, so that's going to be his main diet for the moment. He seems slender still, so I'm feeding him daily for a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store