Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
While I regularly use Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium, Kent Turbo Calcium, or Reef Smart Calcium (a TB Aquatics product), this morning I decided to give Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium a try as I've run out of those brands that I normally use. Despite what the directions say, I am not comfortable just sprinkling any dry powder directly into my tank. So, I mixed one teaspoonful at a time into a 10 oz cup of RO/DI water and added it to my overflow. Before I even reached 1/2 of the recommended dose, I noticed that the water coming out of the return was starting to get cloudy. I stopped my dosing right there, as none of the other brands have ever clouded my tank, even when I dosed above the recommended levels on the label. Shortly afterward and even an hour later, the whole tank was still cloudy.

Is this typical when using Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium?
If so, how long before the tank usually clears up again?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I've never seen or heard of it clouding things up. It's calcium gluconate, so it will be biologically metabolized by bacteria but nowhere close to that fast. Even then, it still shouldn't have done that. Have you tested calcium and alkalinity levels to make sure nothing happened as far as precipitation is concerned?

Edit: are you using anything else with it?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
On Saturday, alkalinity was 10 dKH and Ca was 380 ppm. No addition of either (or anything else except a light feeding of pellet food) since Saturday morning until the Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium this morning. Saturday's addition was the last of the Kent Turbo Calcium I had, which was not enough to make up what I would normally add as a full dose. When I added the Bio-Calcium this morning, it was only the Bio-Calcium mixed in RO/DI water.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That's still odd. It is a balanced calcium/alkalinity additive, so I wonder if it pushed anything over the edge. But at the recommended dosage, it should not raise it that substantially. The only thing that I can think of that would have tipped it is if the magnesium was pretty low, thus having lower solubility from the start. Have you tested the parameters since you added the bio calcium this morning? What about magnesium?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
No, I haven't tested since this morning. I can this evening after work though. I'll check the Mg, too, while I'm at it. I wouldn't imagine Mg to be low, but then again I wouldn't imagine that the Bio-Calcium would cloud the tank either.

I should know better than to mess with one of the tanks in the morning before work... I'm never going to be around long enough to diagnose / fix anything before I have to leave for the day.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I wish I could say I haven't done the same. I've done things before a prolonged trip, knowing it would could be an issue while I'm gone. Probably OK, though. Bio Calcium is a relatively safe product.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Ok, I checked the tank when I got home and it had cleared up. I tested the levels and here's what I get:

Alkalinity: 10 dKH
Calcium: 360 ppm
Magnesium: 1520 ppm

I had been dosing Mg somewhat regularly until a couple of weeks ago, since the Reef Smart Calcium and Kent Turbo Calcium do not contain a Mg component like the Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium does. I hadn't been watching the level very closely, which is why it is a little higher than it normally would be.

I'm trying to get the levels back on track, as I'm about to hook up a calcium reactor to this tank, hoping it will simplify things for me once I get it dialed in.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The calcium level is lower, but that is within the range of error for most kits, so it is likely unchanged. What's more of an indicator is your alkalinity which didn't rise at all. Maybe there was some precipitation and it bumped it back to the previous level. Did it clear up for you (should have)?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Yep, it's cleared up. As for the test results, keep in mind that this morning when it clouded up that I had only dosed a little less than half of the recommended dose, so I wouldn't think there would be a noticable change in the numbers since the last tests were on Saturday. Is my thinking incorrect? (presuming there was some consumption since then)

Any thoughts about continuing to use the Bio-Calcium? Is the clouding the formation of an insoluble precipitate, or something less of a concern and just more of an annoyance?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yep, it's cleared up. As for the test results, keep in mind that this morning when it clouded up that I had only dosed a little less than half of the recommended dose, so I wouldn't think there would be a noticable change in the numbers since the last tests were on Saturday. Is my thinking incorrect? (presuming there was some consumption since then)

Any thoughts about continuing to use the Bio-Calcium? Is the clouding the formation of an insoluble precipitate, or something less of a concern and just more of an annoyance?
Difficult to say, unfortunately. One way to find out is to continually dose it at full strength for a few days and note any changes. If you see things drop or not move at all, you can conclude precipitation. If it does rise, you can conclude that it is an annoyance in your particular instance. I've just never had an issue with clouding with this product. It's not one that I've used often or even recently, but it still dissolved relatively clear and didn't result in a noticeable clouding of the tank. Of course, if you decide to try the experiment, have some calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate/carbonate on hand to boost any levels that fall. It should be safe enough to at least attempt to get to the bottom of what is going on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store