what sort of endler is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I picked up a pair of young endlers, and the female recently dropped some fry. But I can't remember what sort they are. Can anyone tell me? This is the male. The is mostly black like in the top picture, in the bottom one the flash makes him look paler. His girlfirend is in another tank now and I am wondering if anyone would like some of the little ones?

endler.jpg endler2.jpg

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
That's what I thought based on googling. Although he has more black than most of the pics I saw. Thanks :)

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
That's what I thought based on googling. Although he has more black than most of the pics I saw. Thanks :)

Thats because he isnt pure black bar endler.

sometimes a "black bar endler" or another type will breed... thus creating an endler that has some color characteristics of both.

This isnt a bad thing unless your a breeder.. all endlers are technically the exact same fish-- breeders just come up with certain color patters by selective breeding and culling over many many years.

a wild caught endler would look nothing like most of the ones we have in out tanks.. the females are totally grey and the males are mostly gray with a small patch of color usually.

Pretty fish though

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Yes, this Endler is a hybrid. Not pure at all.

And 7itanium - Actually, in the wild, Endlers do look similar to what we have in our tanks. That's why there are classes, such as Class N (which is considered wild type).

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Yes, this Endler is a hybrid. Not pure at all.

And 7itanium - Actually, in the wild, Endlers do look similar to what we have in our tanks. That's why there are classes, such as Class N (which is considered wild type).

Touche.. I just did some looking and your right-- I guess I made the incorrect assumption that they were similar to wild guppies.

also.. technically this fish is not a "hybrid" at all... it is an endler. A mix between 2 color variants of the same species does not constitute a hybrid. a weirdo maybe-- but it is indeed purebread, meaning that it came from 2 different types of endlers... as apposed to say a cross between an endler and a guppy (which also might not be a hybrid.. there is some controversy there)

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Touche.. I just did some looking and your right-- I guess I made the incorrect assumption that they were similar to wild guppies.

also.. technically this fish is not a "hybrid" at all... it is an endler. A mix between 2 color variants of the same species does not constitute a hybrid. a weirdo maybe-- but it is indeed purebread, meaning that it came from 2 different types of endlers... as apposed to say a cross between an endler and a guppy (which also might not be a hybrid.. there is some controversy there)
Yes, most people think Endlers are similar or are wild guppies but they've been given a separate species name and have been classified different from guppies as of yet.

In regards to this particular fish being a hybrid; I've been keeping Endlers off and on for over 8 years and I've never ever seen an pure Endler (class N) with that much black on the tail. There are quite a few hobbyist throughout that don't care for the classes (read about it here if interested: http://endlers-usa.com/) that aren't as strict about keeping their bloodlines pure and freely cross their Endlers (Poecilia wingei) with plain/fancy guppies (Poecilia reticulata) which would produce a hybrid (Class K). My guess (and simply a guess) is that whoever was the original source for this user's particular Endler, possibly crossed a half black guppy with a Endler. And by no means am I trying to dock or discredit the beauty of hybrids; as some of the most beautiful livebearers'/guppies have been produced through cross-breeding. But from my knowledge and a overview of Armando Pou's/Adrian Hernadez's stock (the source for 100% of the Endlers' Livebearers in the hobby and world throughout), there is no pure Endler (Class N) with the body/tail being so prominently covered in black. I definitely see some black-bar in this particular fish's lineage though. :)

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Yes, most people think Endlers are similar or are wild guppies but they've been given a separate species name and have been classified different from guppies as of yet.

In regards to this particular fish being a hybrid; I've been keeping Endlers off and on for over 8 years and I've never ever seen an pure Endler (class N) with that much black on the tail. There are quite a few hobbyist throughout that don't care for the classes (read about it here if interested: http://endlers-usa.com/) that aren't as strict about keeping their bloodlines pure and freely cross their Endlers (Poecilia wingei) with plain/fancy guppies (Poecilia reticulata) which would produce a hybrid (Class K). My guess (and simply a guess) is that whoever was the original source for this user's particular Endler, possibly crossed a half black guppy with a Endler.

Yes I know that it is uncertain weather there are even any endlers in the hobby that are indeed true purebreeds.

Also considering that the guppy and endler share the same wild habitat.. it is even possible that the wild caught endlers that are shipped out (not so much anymore) arent even pure endler.

I agree that this endler in question is at bare minimum NOT a black bar endler. as to weather he is even all endler im gonna give that one a 50/50. After staring at it more and more it does seem to have some guppy like traits... but I cant be certain.

so to the OP- heres your answer.

what type of endler is this?
Its not any type of endler that has a common name... the only thing we can be sure of is that it comes from the Poecilia genus. Weather its species is wingei, or reticulata I cannot determine. But it is very well possibly a cross of the two. but definately not the offspring of just one type of endler

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I guess I'll just keep refering to him by name :)

He is called "Dash" because he is always trying to impress the gambusia ladies with much fin and tail wiggling. He never seems to get put off by their complete and utter lack of interest. But in the interests of population control his girlfriend is going to stay in the other tank.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have some Akysis catfish that are ideal for endler's/guppy population control. They look similar to bumblebee catfish but max out under 3". Too small to eat adult fish, but will happily clean up fry IME.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store