Dwarf crayfish question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shrimpo

AC Members
Nov 28, 2009
fairfax, Virginia
I have some dwarf crayfish in my aquarium, do i need to cover it? i mean do the crayfish try to get out of the aquarium or they stay inside the water all the time.
thanks

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
I haven't had any problems with my dwarf cajuns trying to get out and I've had them for a couple of months now. I suppose when in doubt let the water level drop a bit so they can't crawl or scoot up to the top so easily.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i agree, mine don't try to escape either but its certainly within the realms of possibility. I keep my water line dropped an inch or two.

Jane of Upton

AC Members
Dec 23, 2005
Upton, MA
Probably not. I've been keeping them as well, and none have shown an inclination to get out of the tank.

One thing which is kind of amusing is that they like to "roost" up in the plants. When they first started doing this, I worried that they were trying to leave the aquarium, but they never did.

Its kind of neat, actually. They'll scramble up there, trying to find a perch, and sometimes miss their step and glide back down to the substrate, only to find another place to climb. Recently, I moved a bunch from one tank to another, and it took them a few days to discover new perches on the different plants in their new tank. They did, though, and soon I had a bunch of them, some in the Najas, some on the little platforms of the Cabomba, at different levels and areas, like strange birds in a tree. DH says they're like cats - they want to get up higher to have a good vantage of all the other action going on in the tank.

So, if you provide them something to climb on, don't get worried when they do, as long as they settle in and find their "perch". To me it seems that the big females are more inclined to find a spot they like and hang out there than the males, although I've seen the behavior in both genders.

-Jane

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store