Catching Dwarf Crayfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Somewhere in my community tank are four Shufeldtii (maybe three- haven't seen more than three at the same time in months).

They started out shy- became less shy- and then I added Kuhlis a few months back they became super shy again... now I almost never see them.

One was heavily berried last I saw her a few weeks ago- I'd love to know how her eggs/young are doing.

In the upcoming week I'll be FINALLY getting my invert paludarium set up and then beginning of the year hope to move the shufeldtii over along with all the shrimp + non pest snails once the plants and everything else has had time to settle.

Hopefully in the absense of fish my crays will not be quite so shy.

Beginning to forward plan to tank-transfer day for the inverts and I've realised- I've absolutely no idea how I'm going to catch the things when it is time to move them.

Can I lay traps for them or do I have to remove every plant and every slate cave so that they have nowhere to hide? That's quite a disruptive task to say the least.

Anyone ever had to move shy dwarf crayfish out of a heavily planted community tank with lots of hiding places before? How did you do it?

I used to see them every feeding time- now I only see them about once a week. (although last I saw them I did see three of them- so I know there are still at least 3 of the 4 alive). I think they eat baby snails so don't really have much need to come out for feeding time.

Also- am I best waiting until the berried female's eggs have hatched before moving her? Is she going to drop her eggs if I move her? (she may have already had young for all I know... they should be born before end of the year shouldn't they if I saw her berried late November)

frigginchi

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Put a 4" long 1" pvc piece in the tank with one of the ends against the front glass. Sooner or later they will hide in the tube.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
she is likely dropping them any day now. i woul dnot move her until she does. I would set up a "snail trap" for them to catch them, pvc works well to. otherwise snag them as you see them rather than destroying your tank. Two nets work really well as they tend to fly backwards as you try to catch them.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I'll try both methods- I may have to get some smaller nets- mine is a little hard to manover in the small crevices of "cave-henge" (a semi circle of slate caves where the crays like to hang out).

Either way it will be a challenge- hope I can rescue some of the young from the hungry mouths of the fish- although if they're as shy as the adults are in the main tank they'll be keeping out of harms way just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store