Enough Flow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
ok guys i have an aquapod 24 and will be upgrading the pump in the back because it has just recently went out. now i have seen somebody who upgraded to two maxi-jet 900's with one flowing through the factory outlet and another flowing out of an outlet that he drilled and put in the right sump. now if i did this and used a hydorflo deflector on each outlet would this along side a koriala nano be enough, too much, or not enough flow for softies and maybe a few LPS

also i do not any corals yet i am holding off on corals until after i upgrade the stock lighting and cooling fan

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Try it and see. The Hydors will reduce some of the flow, though, so try to account for that. I would recommend trying a Tunze nanostream if it were me. You'd get the extra flow and less space occupied than comparable pumps.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
well the 2 maxi-jets will in the rear sumps they wont be in the display only the koriala nano is in the display

and also since the flow will be decreased due to the hydorflo's would i be better off goiing with mj1200s they are only a few dollars more so it wouldnt hurt the wallet that much more

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Wish there was a definite answer. You basically have several choices. You can spend the money on the maxijets and get a higher flow rate through your overflow/return or you can opt for a higher volume powerhead in the main system itself. Like I said earlier, a Tunze nanostream would be more than enough flow to cover the needs of that tank. It will give you more bang-for-your-buck and end up costing a bit more than the koralia and maxijet, but still provide much more water flow. It is also, IME, a better product than either the maxijet or the Koralia. Take a look at them and I don't believe you'll be disappointed. It will easily do the job of both pumps and then some at a seemingly intense 660 gph, but it is actually surprisingly gentle. It should also heat up the tank less than those two pumps combined at only 7w. That kind of flow rate, despite what you may think, is fine for that size tank. I think you'll be happy with it.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
It is also, IME, a better product than either the maxijet or the Koralia.
I got a laugh out of that line.. "IME..." hahaha.. this time your just being a little too cautious Amph.. I don't think it is just you, I am pretty sure it is a proven fact the Tunze is a much better product than the others listed. :thumbsup:

Mustang Boy, if you can save up for the Tunze, Amphiprion is 100% right and I would go with his advice if possible. It will save you time, money, and headaches in the long run and you will have better flow.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I got a laugh out of that line.. "IME..." hahaha.. this time your just being a little too cautious Amph.. I don't think it is just you, I am pretty sure it is a proven fact the Tunze is a much better product than the others listed. :thumbsup:
Just trying not to step on anyone's toes when it comes to product preference. I've had some issues with Tunze, though--just not as much as comparable products. Nothing's perfect and I just wanted to reflect that, too is all. I usually try to stay away from absolutes, too, since they usually come back to bite you, especially in this hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store