Can two Black tigers = one Red Tiger?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
Can two black tiger shrimp have a Red Tiger shrimp baby?
I just noticed this red looking tiger shrimp in my ALL Black tiger shrimp tank.
There's no way possible that one of my red tigers got in that tank.
Plus this one has better color and red stripes than my other reds.

2tigers-1red.jpg

What do you think?
Would you remove and put into my Red Tiger shrimp tank?

Steve

2tigers-1red.jpg

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
^Agreed^. Pehaps you could start breeding a new morph lol.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
This is going to be disappointing, but I have to break it to you, those stripe colorations are just a different shade of black. Perhaps not intense enough, therefore, making it look reddish/maroon.
The red tigers in your other thread look nothing like red tigers to me. They look like culls from regular tigers that simply didn't develop the black coloration of their stripes too well. If I may ask, who did you get those red tigers from in the other thread? Because I'm not buying it (the story, not the shrimp). I don't think they're red tigers, unless you can snap more/better shots of them. And if you say that the tiger above has better coloration than the red tigers you bought, then there's clearly something wrong. **Note** Sounds harsh, I know and I'm sorry! I don't mean any harm though :) They're great shrimp nonetheless.

Now, for some tidbit of info about red tigers that I've learned:
Red tigers are no different to regular tigers. Yes, the color is different but they're the same shrimp. Red seems to be a recessive trait (or so I suspect), so think of them as like CRS and they do occur in the wild. People seemed to have picked up the belief that red tigers are different to regular tigers because of how they've been marketed. However, wholesalers who collect these shrimp simply separate the red colored ones and the black ones from each other to make a bigger profit. Sell reds for a higher cost and blacks for a lower one.
Red tigers do exist, it's just not what you have. Red tigers show true red, not a dirty black that sits at an in-between stage of coloration.

Here's an example of my red tigers (old thread, decent pictures though!)
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189990&highlight=red+tiger

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
Red tigers do exist, it's just not what you have. Red tigers show true red, not a dirty black that sits at an in-between stage of coloration.

Here's an example of my red tigers (old thread, decent pictures though!)
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189990&highlight=red+tiger

Thanks for the info.
How is my Red tiger different than your Red Tiger.
They look the same to me, except for minor camera settings differences, most likely the white balance.

MINE (taken with a flash):
redtiger-3.jpg

Yours:
red2.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

redtiger-3.jpg red2.jpg

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
Is yours missing a pedigree perhaps? Or an advanced degree from an accredited shrimp university? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
Is yours missing a pedigree perhaps? Or an advanced degree from an accredited shrimp university? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

hahaha, Funny!!!
Like one of my dog, and his AKC papers, he is suppose to be a Pekingese, but I'm not sure of that!!!! :)

Steve

MGDMIRAGE

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Pretty shrimp whatever they may be :)

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
i say you stick it in with your red tigers because since he looks so much better than your existing red tigers he may improve your future generations colors

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store