Are figure 8 puffers brackish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I'm a member of another site for cichlids and someone is keeping a figure 8 puffer with a large group of mbuna(crazy I know). I went to point out that puffers need brackish water then I thought I remembered that there are some freshwater puffers. The Internet did not help clear up the question so I figured I would post here and get a definite answer :)

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Dwarf Puffers are freshwater- most others prefer brackish water. From what I recall figure 8's are brackish- but can live in freshwater (although it may not be as good for them).

/ no puffer expert so could be wrong.

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
I just checked 4 different sites and got 4 different answers, some say they are brackish but can live in freshwater, others says they are freshwater but can live in brackish. I know every LFS in my area has them in freshwater... I remember reading at some point that they start freshwater and shift to brackish, but I don't know for sure. As for being with mbuna, looks like they either have a ticking time bomb, or got lucky. Also no puffer expert, just read way to much..

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Figure-eight puffers prefer mildly brackish water 1.005 to 1.010, preferably the lower end.

credit - Brackish-Water Fishes: An Aquarist's Guide to Identification, Care & Husbandry. Neale Monks, editor.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Figure-eight puffers prefer mildly brackish water 1.005 to 1.010, preferably the lower end.

credit - Brackish-Water Fishes: An Aquarist's Guide to Identification, Care & Husbandry. Neale Monks, editor.
^^^ I agree. And nice work citing the source.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store