Schooling fish in cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

couger247

AC Members
Sep 4, 2009
Alabama
Now that i am searching for a pretty cichlid, I also need to know what fish might be good as schools in a cichlid tank.

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
I have some Congo Tetras in with Firemouths, convict, parrot, and severums. With my mbuna, I have used giant danios and tiger barbs.

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
I have a few zebra danios and a cherry barb in a tank with some P. saulosi right now and they have been taking a beating. Lots of fin rippage. You would think that the zebras at least would be too quick, but the mbuna just corner them in tight spots and bite them. I think that the zebras just irritate them. The cherry barb fights regularly with one of the females, and at least holds his ground. I need to get the zebras and cherry barb out though.

hollyfish2000

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Does depend on the cichlid.

I agree with the other poster -- mbuna should be just with mbuna. If you're looking for an African fish that does well in groups, consider yellow labs and p. acei, the latter does actually school together. (A school of syno is good, too.)

For South American cichlids, particularly dwarves, any tetra works well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store