seed shrimp outbreak

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i have a well established shrimp tank and havent had any new livestock or plants in several months. within the last few weeks i've noticed some seed shrimp pop up. now i have an infestation.

where did they come from?

how do i get rid of them?

should i be worried?

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Sometimes these little critters hitch-hike on plants and perhaps tagged along with the plants you added a few months ago. I wouldn't be worried though. Aren't these a great treat for fish? And I don't think it will be easy to get rid of them without fishing out your shrimp and emptying out the entire tank. I believe seed shrimp are herbivores and feed off dead plant material. I say live and let live in this case. :)

Last edited:

milesalive

AC Members
Apr 22, 2009
Kalamazoo,MI
Its going to be tough to get rid of them without affecting the other shrimp population

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
there is too many for me too live with. i do have fish that would love them but they would also love my shrimp.

any suggestions? ghost shrimp?

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Tim, is there perhaps a way you could introduce some kind of smaller fish that could feast on the small seed shrimp but not on your other large shrimp? I don't even know if you could "trap" these small seed shrimp. I think the only other options would be either netting them (which will be a huge pain) or emptying out the tank. I highly doubt ghost shrimp would be able to contain/control seed shrimps.

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
Seed shrimp have a protective clam-like shell thicker than "real" shrimp because it is an Ostracod, not a true shrimp. It's reaction to being investigated by a fish is to act like a rock, and many fish will pass them by. They don't often show up in tanks and reproduce. They are likely to disappear after a time but by then your shrimp may be gone too. I would rescue the shrimp to a new setup, taking pains not to transfer any seed shrimp, then do what you will with them, feed them to something, put anabantoids in the tank which tend to eat these guys if little other food is available. When I raised bettas, I found that a few seed shrimp (also called hard shelled daphnia, which they are not related to either) in each jar would keep the jar clean and the water clear. The bettas would not eat them until I left for a weekend. When I came back all the seed shrimp were gone and I had to put new ones in from the culture tank.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
i used to feed them to my gertrude rainbows who eagerly ate them, and they are shrimp safe. most small fish will go after them but if they dont eat them they will stil chase and chew on them which usually kills the ostracod.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store