trapdoor snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

heislertj

AC Members
Dec 5, 2009
Buffalo NY
I recently acquired some good sized trapdoor snails. Some of them crawled around for a few days and now are inside their shell for a couple days. Is this normal to go into their shell and not come out for a few days?

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I bought a few just a while ago and some of mine do the same thing. I thought one was dead the first time I saw them do this so I picked it up to toss out and it was alive. I put it back into the tank where it sat for another day and then wandered off. They are fine--just don't why they do this though.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
snails do some strange things.... and i think it's just because they know it drives us bonkers, lol.

snails quite often will hide in their shells if there is something in the water that is irritating them. what is your water change/maintenance schedule on this tank?

they'll also hide if there are fish in the tank that are harassing them. what are the tankmates?

if you ever have snails float or stay in their shells for an extended period of time (a week or more), do the smell test. trust me, you'll know if they are no longer living.....

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Could be your tank's temperature.. these are subtropical snails, they generally get lazy if it goes above the mid-70's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store