Which Tunze wavebox controllers & Tunze pumps & how many

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I will begin saving for these right after the start of 2010.

Im a new problem to solve, James the aquarium guy who will be rebuilding my 240 (SPS system) and 40 gal breeder QT, has told me he couldn't guarantee that in doing for me a closed loop system, that the tank wouldn't crack. Now I readied a thread in RC where many not have a closed loop that there are ways about getting around this by compensating with extra pump(s) for my water currents. Now original I had in mind from early on suggestion to use the Tunze 6100, the question is, am I to stay with the 6100 and how many would I best require here? Also, im looking to have the Tunze controllers as well. So being the tank is 8'x2'x2' and the sump will be a 125 gal tank, how many tunze 6100 will I need here? I know at the start of the tank, I will not need any more then 2-3 tunze 6100, but I wish to buy what I will require here and have it once its needed to add to the tanks water currents at some later date. Also planning this with Tunze wavebox and TUNZE Turbelle Magnet Holders.

As of yet, im without a complete cost what this rebuilding will be as yet, for James not to long ago agreed to having the LumenBrights Mh reflectors, he just not knew about the LumenBrights when he answered me with that it wouldn't do. For i sent him a article on the LumenBrights and then after he thought that they will cost something like $250 each, I email him a link showing him their not even over $120 each.

He has gotten a new cabinet builder for the tank stand and canopy, were building the stand with a height under the tank of 40" and the canopy of course will be 18" and the full cost for both the stand and canopy is $2,400. On the return pumps, James agreed with the two return pumps of my choice, both Iwaki, one pumps 960 gph and the other pumps 1200 gph. But he seems to feel they cost to much, were as I tell him I will get what I paid for. The biggest issue on that is, I need pumps I could count on more then most other pumps for in my area, during the hot months of the year, we get many short term power outages lasting anywhere from 1-5 minutes at times. And I believe that the Iwaki pumps will kick back on with no problems.

I already paid more then $5,100 to the rebuilding of this tank, what cost is left is, what the lighting will be and filtration system with the 125 gal sump. Also a large UV, almost left that out, and what ever the Tunze pumps and its other items will run me as well.

So being that I will have to do this tank without a closed loop system, which tunze pumps would you suggest best and how many will I need for a 240 gal dominated SPS tank? And which controller(s) as well please.

I was hoping for something better to report on the rebuilding of my 240 gal to be SPS tank by this time, James who will do this is rather slow with some answers in return. For i was looking to have before the end of this year to have what will be my total cost to do this. Im still assuming for the most, that the cost will top more then $7,500.

Buddy

Happy Holidays Everyone :)

hmotorsol

AC Members
Apr 25, 2008
Have thought about vortech mp40w's. they put pretty much no heat into the tank and come with their own wave box that wirelessly(sp?). The downside is they only push flow in one direction but it is very wide. They will sync up to 8 from one being set the master. These things are amazing and have no electrical components in the water.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Thanks, what your thoughts on this idea?

Being that im to do without a closed loop, im told that the vortechs generate less heat. im with little to no response on this and I wish to begin saving for it as soon as my X-mas shopping is done. Do tell me what you think of this:

$420.00 VorTech MP40w Propeller Pump Gen2
$420.00 VorTech MP40w Propeller Pump Gen2
$295.00 VorTech MP20 Propeller Pump
$295.00 VorTech MP20 Propeller Pump
$165.00 VorTech Battery Back-up
$1,595 Total
Now the idea behind the 20`s is, those will be setup off center from the middle of the tank blowing at a angle in opposite directions and the two MP40w will be at both ends of the tank. I spoken to a person at champion and he suggested to just buy three VorTech MP40w. I am up for suggestions, if anyone can be helpful in this matter.

And if you think that im to stay with Tunze pumps, then please do list your suggestion.

Buddy

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Personally, I would do a mix of Tunze and Vortech on your size tank... 2 MP40's, one on each end of the tank linked wirelessly so they are in sinc and working together. Then put a couple Tunze (not sure which model, I am not up on Tunze model #s myself) on the back of the tank.

That is just one option.. another would be 4 MP40'2, 2 on each end, that would probably give you enough flow, but get quite pricey..

And yet another option, 2 MP40s, one on each end, and a TAAM Polario in the middle of the tank (not nearly the quality of Vortech or Tunze though), but so far haven't heard of too many complaints on the Polario's.

I have not heard too many good things about the Tunze waveboxes though.. biggest complaints I hear are "noise" being the biggest and "size" being the second. You can get a nice wave in your tank with just 2 MP40s.

Just throwing out ideas for you to think about... maybe a combination of the suggestions would even work better. Hard to really say what will give you the best/perfect flow on a tank without trying it first. Best of luck on your research and getting some water in that tank.. I know it has been a very long journey for you so far.
:cheers:

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Hi Buddy! I think going with the Tunzes or the VorTechs can work well for you. To some degree, it is as much about preference as it is performance.

Honestly, with it being an 8' tank of SPS, I don't think 2 or 3 VorTech MP40s (combined with or without a couple MP20s) will satisfy you. In such a long tank, depending on how the rock work is laid out, I would go with a minimum of 4 MP40s (2 or more on each end). If your rock is laid out in a way that creates distinct zones in the tank, you may find having a MP20 or two on the back helpful for creating less uni-directional flow.

I'm not sure how many VorTechs you're planning to run on the battery back-up, but keep in mind that 1 battery back-up is meant to run 1 - 2 VorTechs at half speed for the time period it is rated. If your power losses are frequently only a few minutes, this is not a problem, but if you have more prolonged power outages (a day or more), this could be an issue.

If the battery back up is particularly important to you, Tunze does make a unit for their powerheads that allows you to supply a DC power source as a back up (even a solar panel, if you so fancy -- Tunze 6105.50 Safety Connector; about $50). I don't know how many of their pumps can be connected to one of those units, but it does allow the user the flexibility to have a much longer back up run time simply by having a larger deep cycle marine battery (or a grouping of them) connected to the system. It does automatically switch over to the DC power during a power outage and back to the AC power when it comes back on.

As for the rest of an evaluation of using Tunze powerheads for your tank, I don't have anything to say, as I haven't used them. I only speak of the VorTechs based on my experience with them in our 5' x 3' x 27" 250g. I have 2 MP40s in there, finding myself wanting a 3rd, and feel that if it was only SPS, I would have 4 MP40s, which is why I am not so sure 2 or 3 MP40s will really satisfy you in a 8' x 2' x 2' tank.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The main advantage Tunze will have over Vortech is the sheer amount of volume they can move. For your tank, depending upon what you want, I'd say at a bare minimum you'd need 3-4 6105s. You may even want to upgrade two of those to 6205s, IMHO. Granted, I really like gargantuan, but gentle water flow (as others have noticed), but I think that would work well for you. The multicontroller would be able to handle all of those. If you want a Wavebox, that's optional and up to you. Just be aware of the caveats of using it, like splashing into overflows, the rocking motion compromising any integrity, or simply sloshing water out of the tank. If you have an overflow fed skimmer, it will wreak havoc on performance, since they do best with a good, steady feed rate. Lastly is the size. These units, even on larger tanks, are big. I don't think the nano wavebox would create a sufficient enough wave for that tank, either. You should only need one, though, if you decide to get one.

Edit: I see you are wanting it to be SPS only (or predominantly, anyway), after reading through again. In that case, I'd stick with the higher recommendation of at least 2 6205s and 2 6105s on a multicontroller. You will have to add more later once things grow in.

Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Im not time now to review all your thoughts on this topic, im going now to shop and buy some Xmas cards as well.Im a break from the kids today, but have them all weekend long and much of two weeks from the 23rd. I will look forward to reading your replies as soon as I get back home. I did however readied one part on the mixing of both the Tunze and VorTechs and im guessing that is because the VorTechs I can not angle it to the side. Even that im a number of new maxi jets 1200`s, these pumps will not do for a sps system of this size. I need to go now while its early yet, but i will be back later to read all three opinions/suggestions. Also, there is one other item im thinking about, I will share you some light on what it is later. :flamed:

Buddy

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
That is just one option.. another would be 4 MP40'2, 2 on each end, that would probably give you enough flow, but get quite pricey..
Ace, this was however suggested to me from champion lighting, I only didn't want to simply take it on one persons word only, and I seen a link were they sell them as duel sets, two MP402 and I think it was under $900. And the TAAM Polario is still a new item, its not as you say so recommended, if anything I would search around to buy myself two duel sets and I would think a wavebox would be best used in this case so that two MP402 pumps are running in sequence, off and on.

I have not heard too many good things about the Tunze waveboxes though.. biggest complaints I hear are "noise" being the biggest and "size" being the second. You can get a nice wave in your tank with just 2 MP40s.
What then of a wavebox by Vortech, they must make them as well I would think? Im thinking much as from what im reading that I should go and stay with Vortech.

I know it has been a very long journey for you so far.
The journey however is still not near an end, im still in need to get so much more money together to make this happen, the thing be is, it will one day come to an end and begin enjoying. Also, all of what cost im putting into this now, is all paying again for what wasn't done right in the first place.

I would go with a minimum of 4 MP40s (2 or more on each end). If your rock is laid out in a way that creates distinct zones in the tank, you may find having a MP20 or two on the back helpful for creating less uni-directional flow.
fsn77, once again another said the same idea of having four MP40 2, it just about makes it in all agreement to what I need to do here.

I'm not sure how many VorTechs you're planning to run on the battery back-up, but keep in mind that 1 battery back-up is meant to run 1 - 2 VorTechs at half speed for the time period it is rated. If your power losses are frequently only a few minutes, this is not a problem, but if you have more prolonged power outages (a day or more), this could be an issue.
fsn77, there happens to be a lot happening im the family, my grandkids dad happens to be on a new city, county job, his a judge and at this job, there needs to be a judge on duty 24/7. Xmas week his working odd hours, 4pm to 12am and even 9pm to 6am, I will have to stay with the kids while his at work. Anyway, im a gas generator that will run the much needed items on the tank, like all its pumps and skimmer.

Now this is also what I meant when I said that im another thing to speak about, I will get the cash for the VorTechs and any other item needed for those pumps as fast as I can, and then get the UV and then I will need at lease another $2,000 or more for the lights and labor.

Now my idea is, I will get the cash for the rebuilding, and then hold off to get the cash together for the home generator, it will run on my propane tank. Know this, im in need to buy a better generator then what I now have, it would cost me anywhere from $1500 to $1800 and run with gas and makes loud noise. Well there happens to be a generator that is around $2,000 and I would need something like around $700 to install it, and it starts itself when there is a power outage. Then I would start the tank and stock them. If I just start the tanks up when the rebuilding is completed, it be more difficult to save for a generator and buy live stocks at the same time, what would you do in this case?

In that case, I'd stick with the higher recommendation of at least 2 6205s and 2 6105s on a multicontroller.
Amphiprion, I can not find any reason why I should disagree with you on your thoughts/suggestion, but what of the vortech ?

Thanks Fellas ;) Buddy

Last edited:

hmotorsol

AC Members
Apr 25, 2008
Vortech's each have a small computer that has 5 different wave modes. Outside of those 5 modes they have feed mode and night mode. They can sync and anti sync with each other to give various flow patters. I also like them because they take up very little space(the piece that goes inside the tank is 3" in diameter and 2.5 inches thick roughly). 4 vortechs would be the way i go.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Hi Buddy. I couldn't disagree on the Vortech recommendations given, so I simply gave a Tunze recommendation. If you want a reasonable mixed recommendation, two MP40s and two 6205s to start would work out roughly the same, if not a bit better with the Vortechs' sync mode. Plus you'd get the added flow of the 6205s. Again, you will, without a doubt, need more eventually, but to start, it will definitely do what you want it to do. IF you go with all Vortech, go with an even, opposing number. Say you get 6, go with 3 on each end. Again, I agree with the above recommendations with 4 being the minimum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store