Is aquarium gravel too large/ harsh for grass plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lawdawg18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2003
Jackson, Ms
Visit site
I have a 55 gal tank that has been running since sept or oct. It has 4 40 watt light tubes providing light for the tank. I add Flourish once a week as directed. No CO2. Fairly large fish tank gravel substrate. Most of the stem type plants in the tank are doing very good, but none of the grass type plants (Vals and Sags) are growing at all. Most of the grass plants turn yellow then white then turn to mush. I did have one grass plant that produced another then the mother plant died. The plants sometimes will get new growth. New leaves a few inches long but they are yellowish in color. I was at a petshop in another town a week or so ago and the clerk said that it maybe the gravel in the tank is to large/ harsh for the grass like plants. I purchased a Val in a pot, and put the whole pot in the tank. The new plant is still nice and green. I was wondering if it is possible to add or change substrate on a up and running tank without messing up the fish? Could the large regular tank gravel be the problem with my grass type plants?
Should I just try to replant the plants in pots of some sort? Any other ideas or suggestions?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The standard suggestion is for 2-3mm gravel, and I do not dispute that this is the optimum size. However, many of my tanks have commercial gravel, but the smaller sized stuff, not the river pebbles type of gravel.

With 4x40W over a 55 (~3W/gal.), I have to add alot more than just Flourish - that is primarily traces. You need macros (nitrogen, phosphate, potassium) and carbon at those lighting levels. Perhaps the stem plants are sucking up what water column nutrients are available, leaving nothing for the rosette plants?

If you do not want a full-scale fertilization routine, I'd suggest cutting back on the light by at least one tube.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I would suggest (and I'm just a plant newbie!) trying root tabs in the gravel near those plants. Be sure to put them deep enough in the substrate to prevent nutrients leaching into the water column which could lead to an algae outbreak.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store