Marineland visitherm heater broke

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
It was in my 10 gallon qt and I went to check the setting and it fell apart in my hand. I'm getting ready to rehome my 29 gal inhabitants to a new 36 bow front and I'm using the qt will I shift plants and substrate. How many watts do I need for a heater for it? TIA linda

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd use a 150 or 200 watt for the 36 gallon, depending on where you keep the room temp and if the tank has a glass lid or not.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
is it a stealth? they are gauranteed forever, and marineland will replace it if you send it back

BTW the wattage should be printed on your old stealth, bit I would use at least a 150 watt heater. check out the prices on stealths at www.kensfish.com

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
split in two pieces. didn't shatter just broke about mid way down. It was still warm.so I unplugged it and put it in a box to throw it away. Those are my favorite brand of heater.
thanks Mr Bishop for the help on the size.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Wow was it still all the way in the water when it broke or did you pull it out of the water for adjustment plugged in then it broke? Im asking becasue its good to know for future reference encase it happens again to someone else we can see and note a trend and possibility get a manufacturer defect replacement in the future.

I think the whole wattage size thing has some leeway depending on your winter climate. Here is Bullhead AZ I easily get away with 2 Watt per gallon, 200W on my 100, 400W on my 244, 100W on my 60. But I suppose its best to recommend the tables below.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/heating/a/heatersizeguide.htm

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
thanks for the link. I don't know when it broke, I just noticed it when I went to check the temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store