NEW IMPROVED FILTER OR JUNK ? ? ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
IDK man, Seems kinda flimsy, and I dont like the lack of any type of mechanical filtration.. unless I missed that part.

Also the "backflush" operation seems like it is a little complicated, and messy.

I do like the options for different water returns.
And I like the idea of the backflush, but It just seems like it could be a little better engineered.

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
IDK man...Maybe for a small tank? I guess the crap collects in the area before the bio balls. What if it happens to clog? Does the water flow from the front back to the tank or out the sides to the floor?.....Ha Ha ! Fish looked paranoid.

clgkag

AC Members
Mar 30, 2008
Seems like the same principle as a sand filter for a swimming pool. The "pearls" are larger, but seems like the same principle. Seeing the junk come out on the backflush, it obviously does some mechanical. The question would be how much? I would guess you have to service it quite regularly to keep it from clogging for it to run efficiently. Probably a pretty good bio filter and so-so on mech.

If you get them, let us know how they work.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd buy two with your money....

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I was thinking that the pearls are nothing more then resin. As we know resin is used under static charge to collect debris just like when you rub anything plastic it has a powerful adhesive affect on almost anything even particles of dirt, ammonia ions, nitrate ions, you name it. Then when you discharged the resin temporarily using a any salts it releases all the collected debris.

The problem comes into play when you don't have a separate flushing location as is demonstrated in the video, this same thing happens in a water softener the resins release all the debris to the drain and get washes before going back into service. However when you use resins in your canister like Ammocarb or ammonia chips, just another name for charged resins, all of the chemicals , toxins, and dirt they collect can and will be released back into the aquarium on the next water change when salts are introduced via your water conditioner like Prime. So I never recommend using resins in any filter except perhaps this one which has a back flush.

Nevertheless too pricey when you can build you own out of an old water softener hooked to your aquarium and home drain system something that I have never tried but would probubly work well.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
I was thinking that the pearls are nothing more then resin. As we know resin is used under static charge to collect debris just like when you rub anything plastic it has a powerful adhesive affect on almost anything even particles of dirt, ammonia ions, nitrate ions, you name it. Then when you discharged the resin temporarily using a any salts it releases all the collected debris.

The problem comes into play when you don't have a separate flushing location as is demonstrated in the video, this same thing happens in a water softener the resins release all the debris to the drain and get washes before going back into service. However when you use resins in your canister like Ammocarb or ammonia chips, just another name for charged resins, all of the chemicals , toxins, and dirt they collect can and will be released back into the aquarium on the next water change when salts are introduced via your water conditioner like Prime. So I never recommend using resins in any filter except perhaps this one which has a back flush.

Nevertheless too pricey when you can build you own out of an old water softener hooked to your aquarium and home drain system something that I have never tried but would probubly work well.
Only the Aqua Genie HOB has 4 filtration stages for maximum benefits

Stage 1 - Super efficient mechanical filter by debris settling in spaces between 500 highly porous sintered glass BioPearls.

Stage 2 - Double action biological filter (bacteria on filter media).
With ammonia/nitrites reducing aerobic bacteria on the outer layers of the BioPearls plus nitrate reducing anaerobic bacteria in the core of these BioPearls (pls see specifications explained in relevant Biopearls page on this wesite).

Stage 3 - Chemical filtration with large disposable cascading activated carbon cartridge.

Stage 4 - Instant reverse-flush dirt removal system.
Your AquaGenie HOB filter will evacuate most accumulated organic waste and detritus by a powerful short back-flush. This action prevents build up of waste, minimizes the load on the bio-filter and avoids production of other toxins. Each flush will remove most organic and in-organic debris but will not affect the bacteria. When used properly, the AquaGenie filter can effectively slow down the production of nitrates and phosphates and may reduce the scale and frequency of additional water changes; it also removes the need for vacuuming when used with coarse sand instead of gravel on the floor of the fish-tank.

I think it looks pretty innovative as far as HOB's go.
Worth a look IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store