Something is up with Common Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vam

AC Members
Dec 21, 2003
www.mektek.net
I've been cycling a 10 gallon tropical tank now since Dec 14th. Currently my tank gives the following readings:

ph 6.1
ammonia 0.7ppm
No Idea about nitrate/nitrite (I can't find the kits locally!!)

My ph has been slowly dropping from 7 to where it stands now. I've read that perhaps my piece of driftwood (that I bought from the LFS) might be helping bring the ph down. Since my ammonia level seems high, the lower ph is actually helping my fish tolerate the higher levels to my understanding.

I had only one death two weeks ago while cycling my tank, it was one of my two common plecs that I had for only two weeks in the tank. I found him lifeless last week in the fake plants =\ I also found a new home for my Bala Shark in a 350gallon University tank with 4 other Balas =)

Right now my tankmates include:
3 whiteskirt tetras
1 betta male
1 common pleco
2 dwarf frogs
1 snail

My common pleco is slightly spotted, he is 2" and does not appear any different than when I purchased him. I've never seem him eat any of the fish food/algae walfers that I've been trying to get him to eat. I've just recently read that he enjoys eating greens such as lettuce, I have no lettuce but I do have some cabbage..... I've been trying to get him to eat a piece off a leaf, no luck.

He seems to be laying on his side sucking on the tank and it doesn't look right, he seems to let go sometimes and he rolls back and he appears lifeless, then he rolls back and starts sucking. He doesn't seem to be swimming at all now just floating on the bottom of the tank. I did a 25% water change and I took him out of the tank to have a look at him while doing the water change. He doesn't appear to be unhealthy........ can someone tell me whats wrong with him?

Here is a picture

Last edited:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I'm not sure whats wrong with him except that your ammonia is high enough to bother the fish...which can make them act funny. The key is to do lots of partial water changes. Also, the pleco should have 55+ gallons to roam around in as they get 1-2 feet in length! :eek:

Did you plan to upgrade tanks anytime soon?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store