NB salt water tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Im starting a fish only saltwater tank and want some help with piking fish. The tank is only 30 gallons.

I was thinking 3 green Chromis with some live rock and a bare bottom. Any sugestions?:help2::feedback:

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
that could be a good starting off point, you could probably get a few more fish than that but those guys could ease you into keeping sw.
you could ultimateley get like a dwarf lion or small angler.
any number of gobies or wrasses could be a good choice.
just stay away from dragonettes like mandarins or scooter blennies unless youve read more into training them and stay away from tangs haha

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Mystery wrasse if a nice fish for that tank! Barebottoms are often soar on the eyes IMO, id go with a fine grade sand!

glad to see someone new to SW on these forums! welcome!

Post your question in General Marine Newby forums!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Thanks for the welcome and for the advice. I'll think on it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
If you decide to stick with the barebottom idea, be sure you have lots of water motion to keep any settled detritus suspended for a skimmer. A good skimmer is almost always a must on barebottom tanks in order to remove some of that detritus. If you use any mechanical filtration, clean it religiously. I wouldn't go for more than 2 days if you use filter floss, etc. You'll also need to keep up with regular water changes to siphon any accumulated detritus, which will settle under rocks, etc.

That being said, I always recommend good water motion. A good skimmer can also increase the water quality on any tank, not just barebottom.

I can't say BB is the easiest method to go with, as it requires much more work, but it can be very rewarding if done properly. If you don't want the extra work, the above recommendations plus a sandbed, preferably seeded with live sand (not the bagged kind, but the real thing) can help ease up the burden a bit. The tank should also be a bit more forgiving in terms of water quality.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
ty

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name