seachem prime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It says it will, but it is very vague about all of it. Why not just invest in an RO/DI unit to avoid the unknown variables? There are other things in tapwater that won't necessarily be treated by prime, including any number of organics and byproducts of chlorination. In most situations, it is simply not worth the risks.

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
The question was not answered. The questioner asked if Prime will remove mercury from salt water. RO cannot be used in salt water. The answer, I think, is 'maybe', depending on how much mercury is involved, and what the concentration is. Just a guess, but if the mercury in question came from a broken thermometer/hydrometer, there is a good chance it's not mercury at all. Mercury stopped being used for such purposes years and years ago. Most weighted aquarium devices use small iron balls, virtually harmless in an average size marine aquarium, especially if it's fish only, and will cause no harm. A small coral aquarium simply needs a water change. The iron balls rust away quickly, and will always settle at the lowest point. Prime is a superlative product, btw. Polyfilters may be a better choice for heavy metals.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The question was not answered. The questioner asked if Prime will remove mercury from salt water. RO cannot be used in salt water. The answer, I think, is 'maybe', depending on how much mercury is involved, and what the concentration is. Just a guess, but if the mercury in question came from a broken thermometer/hydrometer, there is a good chance it's not mercury at all. Mercury stopped being used for such purposes years and years ago. Most weighted aquarium devices use small iron balls, virtually harmless in an average size marine aquarium, especially if it's fish only, and will cause no harm. A small coral aquarium simply needs a water change. The iron balls rust away quickly, and will always settle at the lowest point. Prime is a superlative product, btw. Polyfilters may be a better choice for heavy metals.
This is a more verbose reiteration of what I said earlier and is, unfortunately, just as vague as the product description. Their answer, as well as yours, does not really provide that much info on the matter. The product only detoxifies mercury in "typical tapwater levels." Seeing as how this amount varies up until the acceptable cutoff, it is still quite vague, making it impossible to give a decent answer.

In short, RO/DI water will always be a better alternative. You must be confusing marine aquaria with freshwater, as RO/DI water can be used and is more commonly used for this purpose. RO/DI filtration will always remove more than any dechlorinator, which is why it is highly recommended for tanks with much more sensitive invertebrates. Prime also does not remove any algal nutrients, like phosphate, that are a major concern.

Many thermometers, especially precision ones (though not ones commonly used by aquarists) are still made with mercury. If a thermometer did break, then the iron balls are an issue, as well. Most of the time, iron is not the only metal included and can be toxic to many invertebrates. They will need to be removed and not allowed to rust away. Polyfilters can and do work, but I recommend a specialized adsorption resin. It is what is included in polyfilters, except in its pure form. It is also regenerable, unlike the disposable polyfilters, making it a much better choice. Then again, the OP could be worried about mercury that is in many local tap sources, which builds up in organisms' systems over time, making the concern somewhat valid. Again, an RO/DI unit will remove all of this.

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Prime will neutralize the tiny amounts of murcury in tapwater, as it's product description says. Polyfilters will remove low mercury levels. In any case, standard tapwater, unless you live near Love Canal or in an EPA Superfund area, does not have enough mercury to worry about. The precision thermometers containing mercury you mention are not generally available to the public.
You are also wrong about the small amount of iron, except as I noted. Seachem's product description is not vague , and neither is my reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I think the OP should consider providing a little more info about the specifics of the situation...
Generally, how much mercury are you trying to remove? Trace amounts from a water source, or potentially larger amounts from some sort of accident with your tank? Did one or more fluorescent bulbs break over the tank and cause this concern?

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Prime will neutralize the tiny amounts of mercury in tapwater, as it's product description says. Polyfilters will remove low mercury levels. In any case, standard tapwater, unless you live near Love Canal or in an EPA Superfund area, does not have enough mercury to worry about. The precision thermometers containing mercury you mention are not generally available to the public.
You are also wrong about the small amount of iron, except as I noted. Seachem's product description is not vague , and neither is my reply.

There was no personal attack. What I wrote was advice regarding demonstrating greater maturity. Was 'verbose reiteration' a personal attack? Or are moderators given greater leeway?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
There was no personal attack. What I wrote was advice regarding demonstrating greater maturity. Was 'verbose reiteration' a personal attack? Or are moderators given greater leeway?
That was an attack on your post, not you personally. I had issues with the factuality and/or accuracy of the contents of your post and I merely addressed it. Doing so constitutes no personal attack. I apologize if you interpreted it as such, as that was never my intention.

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Apology accepted. What you should apologize for is bad advice. Resins, reverse osmosis, the putative harm of tiny amounts of iron, and a few other comments were way off target. If the aquarium in question is primarily a fish tank of at least 29 gallons, nothing need be done. More harm is done by nervous amatuers doing all sorts of things to their aquaria than was ever done by a broken hydrometer/thermometer. I can't imagine what other situation might have generated such a question. How else could the notion of mercury contamination have arisen? There are no hobby tests for mercury. If tapwater contains high levels of mercury, it's a question of public health. I'm aware that in some areas mining companies control state government, and that tap water contains all sorts of poison. RO might help in such cases, but its likely that the membrane would be quickly destroyed by West Virginia type contaminents. At this level, it becomes a political issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store