Desert Gobies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
What king of tank, food, water conditions etc. do I need to have Desert Gobies?

Maybe some DG owners will fill me in :thumbsup:

Thanks!

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
I had a pair- sadly the male died about 2 weeks after I got them. :( Not sure why- but apparently they have very short life spans, so the recommendation is to breed them so you'll always have some.

From what I read, they like harder water to breed, and need a little cave to lay eggs. But apparently they're very adaptable, and can live in almost any conditions.

Mine liked any kind of worms- I fed frozen glassworms, bloodworms, and brine shrimp.

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
Sounds good, what size tank do they need?

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
SO I did some research on them and it looks like they can have as little as 5 gal. per pair.
And they need to eat shrimp pellets or just about anything,
and they like sandy bottoms, hard alkaline water, a teaspoon or 2 of salt per gallon.
water temp = high 70's

Am I right?

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
Yep thats the one i used is it any good?

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
well i guess so seeing as it is at the top of the search page when u google desert gobies
lol...but i dont know anything about them so hard to say

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I know some people who do keep them in tanks as small as 5 gallons, though I use a 20 for a colony myself and wouldn't keep them in anything under 10. Very unfussy eaters, water should be on the hard, alkaline side.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
I had mine in a 10 gallon, I think a 5 would be cramped.

vampie- you have a colony? Do you sell them by any chance? I'm lookin for a male.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I had one about 8 years ago. a 5 sounds pretty small to me because he was in a 55G and was all over the tank.

Unfortunately, I didn't do a lot of research when I got them because I was new to the hobby. what I can say, is stock wisely if it's going into anything other than a species tank. Ultimately I think mine starved to death after about 5-6 months, because it was in a very active community tank. Like most gobies, they're not highly effective eaters, and will hide to avoid a flurry of activity. personally, if I were to do them again I would go with at least 20G, and very CALM tank mates. Other than that, I would say bloodworms, live tubifex worms (if available), shirmp sinking pellets, etc, should be staples of their diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store