do i have enough filtration for my stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i am running a fluval fx5, 2 fluval 4+ and 1 fluval 3+ on a 680 litre 6x2x2.
according to aqadvisor the fx5 is rated at around 260 gallons, the 4+ are at around 37 gallons each and the 3+ is around 22 gallons. so i worked that out to 356 gallons of filtration, on a 150 uk gallon/180 us gallon tank.

stocking at the moment is 10 goldfish-- 1 comet, 2 smaller commons, 1 black moor, 6 fantails/orandas of varying sizes.

i rehomed a few of my smaller fantails to a neighbours spare 4 foot tank as he moved his common plecos into a new 5 foot tank and only had a shubunkin fish left in there. i gave him 3 of my more boistrous males as they were charging around after my girls and he wasnt adding anymore than what i gave him, infact he doesnt want the shubunkin now hes got the fantails as hes preferring the way they look. hes hinting at me taking the shub off his hands but i need to check my filtration first.

i change out usually around 50-60% water every weekend, with thorough gravel vac (although it doesnt pick up much now i have the fx5 running on the tank-awesome filter!) the tank has some live plants, as far as i know they are crypts and swords. around 10 plants in all. im wanting more though.

my parameters are at the moment ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 (usually 5ish about this time in the week but i have added my pond comets/commons)water change day is saturdays, p.h 8.0, temp 74* which no matter what i do i cant lower it.

could i add the shubunkin into my tank? i have no idea what his plans are to do with the shub if i cant take it as he says his pond is a nature pond and he wont put any fish in it, and he wont take it to an aquatics store as he doesnt know it wont end up dying slowly from disease or being put into someones crappy bowl :( cant blame him for worrying i guess. how overstocked is his 4 foot tank with the 3 fantails and shub? he has a rena xp3 filter and an air pump running on it, and he does weekly water changes with monthly gravel vacs. the tank dimensions are 48x12x15 i think he said.

personally id love to take mrs shub off his hands, (im guessing mrs as she shows no breeding tubercles) she is a very pretty fish. i dont mind doing larger water changes each weekend to make up for it. just want to see if this would push my stocking to breaking point.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
sounds like you have a nice filter set up i would say its fine.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
For a goldfish tank, you need to move & filter at least 5 times more than the tank volume per hour. In your case, you need to move 900 gallons an hour.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A little on the low end for my likes...

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
so what would you have running on this tank then? ive been told by everyone that its overfiltered as it is, even though it is a goldy tank. i know they need massive filtration hence me asking you guys. what would you add if you could then? thanks for the replies so far.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I dont know about filtration but would anyone like some goldfish? Comets. IF so go to Re-homing goldfish and koi.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Kelly, 10 goldfish in 680L (180 gallon) tank with that kind of filtration..... your fine.

Your stocking level is pretty good (although I would never keep fancies-- ugly things).

Based upon your water parameters I would add in the other shub and not even think twice about it. Personally I'd stock 12 goldfish in the setup that you have.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
Kelly, 10 goldfish in 680L (180 gallon) tank with that kind of filtration..... your fine.

Your stocking level is pretty good (although I would never keep fancies-- ugly things).

Based upon your water parameters I would add in the other shub and not even think twice about it. Personally I'd stock 12 goldfish in the setup that you have.

:goldfish: thats awesome, thanks V, i should be picking her up sometime in the next week i think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store