Giesemann MH wont fire anymore

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been on here, so I hope everyones been well and all is going good.

I have a Giesemann 230 Plus fixture, includes 2x250W Halides, and 2 Actinics.

2 days ago I turned off the fixture to clean the glass protector, and I went to turn it back on and it wouldnt turn on. I figured that it was still hot and I should let it cool for a bit. Sure enough, an hour later ONE of my halides came on. The other one wouldnt fire, so I thought that it needed some time. I let it sit for a couple of hours but it never turned on.

The next day when I got home, it was still only ONE bulb that was on, so I decided to try to replace the bulbs locations to see if the bulb is burnt or not. Right before I went to pull out the bulb that wasnt working, before I even touched it, it fired for a split second and then BOTH went off.

Ever since then, my ballast try's to fire the bulbs, either one of them goes on for a split second then then turns back off. Now none of them turn on, and whenever I try to turn them on they both randomly try to start and go on for a split second and shut off again. After 2 tries the ballast stops trying and turns all lights off (MH and Actinics)

I'm thinking that its a bad capacitor since I know that this model is old and the capacitors in the ballast have never been replaced.

What do you guys think? And do you know how I can find out WHICH capacitor is shot? And where I can buy a new one if it turns out to be the problem??

Thanks!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That's a tough one. I'm not an electrician, nor do I have experience with the inner workings of ballasts. Is there any way the fixture is still within warranty? If so, that would be my route. Beyond that, you'll have to wait for someone with more electrical experience (kcress or others...). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My guess is if it is a cap that blew it would be very easy to locate once you open the ballast.. if it is magnetic there really should only be 1 big cap in there and the top will be popped or it will be expanded like a balloon if it blew. You should still be able to read the specs on the side of the cap and be able to order a replacement. I know Hellolights.com sells replacement caps for ballasts. That is assuming it is a cap that went bad.. could be the igniter or the coil that went as well, depending on what type of ballast it is (electronic or magnetic). I only have experience opening magnetic ballasts myself.. if an electronic ballast goes out on me I just replace the ballast since I know nothing about the innards of those. I have seen a couple electronic ballast fixtures that had the capacitor outside of the ballast where it was easy to get to and replace.

EDIT: WARNING - Capacitors can hold a charge for over 24 hours after it is unplugged and can cause serious injury if it is charged and you use your body to discharge it. Always be extremely careful when playing with capacitors and it is a good idea to keep it unplugged for 24 hours prior to working on it if at all possible. If the cap is blown though obviously it won't hold a charge. I watched my dad get thrown through a sliding glass door when I was a little kid when he was working on an old TV and touched a capacitor with the screwdriver.. luckily the worst injury he sustained was to his ego but it could have been much worse.

Last edited:

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Alright well first off thanks for the feedback!

I have a fair amount of knowledge with electronics, so I opened up the ballast last night to find TWO capacitors.. One rated at around 1kuF and the other I didnt read, although it was a BIT smaller.. Im not sure if they were electronic of magnetic either.. All I know is that the ONLY things inside the ballast where TWO capacitors, and a transformer (110->220).. There was no igniter or coil..

Funny thing is though, that I just got home, and the light that was working initially, is working again.. Im started to lean towards an igniter, so Im going to take off the glass on my fixture and have a look at the igniter for the light thats not going on..

It also makes sense because I no longer hear the igniter buzzing with noise when the bulb fails to fire..

EDIT

So I just took a look at the igniter, but it doesnt LOOK shot. It smells burnt, VERY burnt, but thats what most igniters smell like after a while.. So I cant decide.. Im going to take the igniter out and see if I can get a replacement at my LFS (probably not).. But im glad that I had ONE bulb going for now...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store