DIY water changer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zabman

The one guy that did that one thing
Dec 17, 2009
Tiffin, OH
hey, first time to this site. does anyone know of any DIY water changing kits available that automatically changes the water in your fish tank? anyway, i got some plans and didnt know if there was a ready made kit available. i did a scan in the topics and came up dry.

also, can anyone think of any disadvantages to such a concept?

Zabman

The one guy that did that one thing
Dec 17, 2009
Tiffin, OH
im thinking of a continuous dripper that drains off water as fresh water enters. drip water in the tank. eventually it would get too full and spill over. so old water would exit threw a drain. you could drip off water, that over the course of a week, could do a 100% water change or more.

the only problem i could think of is with city water users. would the constant, yet slow dripping, of clorinated water be harmful to the fish?

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
there are such things, i dont know about them personally, but i have read about them on the site!

goodluck and let us know how it goes

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
Basically you need a reservoir of water containing 1-2 days worth of water, say 10gal for a 55gal tank, with an airstone in it. That will gas off most of the chlorine in the tap water before it gets to the tank. Have a constant drip running into that. I calculated a while ago that one drip per second is about a gallon a day if I remember correctly. The reservoir gets an overflow running to the tank, and the tank gets an overflow to the drain. You should be able to do all this with plumbing parts and rubbermaid containers, also look into drip irrigation parts, they may be helpful too.

BWI

M.A.N. Community Vendors
Feb 21, 2008
Michigan,Toronto
www.bwiplumbing.com
we are asked this all the time. There are a few options out there. The computer controlled option is using a GHL Profilux controller and your RO unit and a maxi jet.

another is having a maxi jet on a timer to put out water and then have your ro unit automaticly refill from a float.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store