DIY HEX FILTER SYSTEM FOR REEF?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikediamo

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Im trying to make the best/Hassle Free Filter system for a 42 gal hex aquarium.im trying to make it a reef system. I cant have the filtration outside the stand or my 2 toddlers will mess with it. I was thinking ehiem 2227 canister filter but too many people say go sump. Well since the stand is also hex shaped and each facet is 12 inches wide it seems i need to make one myself please help?

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
2 toddlers.. sorry, I can't think of a way to make a good sump in that little of a space that would be good with toddlers around. You would need to place the sump outside of the stand and I know that isn't an option..

So.. I would go with a good canister filter, one you can put the heater inline with to hide that, and just do weekly maintenance on it. I would just use some blue life filter pad and some combination of carbon and GFO in a filter bag in the canister. Chemi-Pure Elite has that, but can be expensive in the long run.. better option is to order a canister or Rox 08 carbon and GFO from bulkreefsupply.com with some filter bags and just make your own home made Chemi-Pure Elite for a lot less. This to me sounds like the best option to hide the equipment so toddlers can't get to it. I would replace the filter pads every week though, just get a bag of it and cut it to size, 1 bag for $7 should last at least a month.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Wow, never seen anything like that before. Just measure to make sure you can fit the 10.5" as well as the 27" height requirement, but if you can then ya, that looks pretty cool. I wouldn't expect much out of the protein skimmer, but at least you will have one. Pretty pricey, but also very specialized. If my only option was that or a canister I would go with that one you just linked to.

EDIT: I think I see a problem, it doesn't look sealed, like a whole unit, everything states is has to be put into your existing sump. I was wondering where the return pump was and exactly how water flowed through it, didn't seem quite right if it was a single unit intended to run solo.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
You are going to have to be.

I see how that works, I would put that whole unit in the first chamber in my sump, it is exactly how my first chamber is laid out. Water comes in the sock, gets pumped by that pump into the protein skimmer, then out the skimmer, down the 3 media racks, and out some slits cut in the bottom to go onto the second chamber, usually a refugium, then the 3rd which is the return pump. So it isn't going to work for you.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
LOL, I get what your saying.. Ya, that one would work for you. Not sure where you will place the ATO bucket though, but that is the least of the worries with kids since all it has in it is fresh clean water. The kids hands in the bucket would not be good for the tank though if that were to happen. It does look like it seals though so that shouldn't be a problem.

Seems like the best option yet.. wow I really haven't kept up on what new things that are making these days.. got so used to DIY I stopped looking and those pre-made sumps. One minor problem I see is it looks like the return pump may screw into the bottom side where the protein skimmer is, that is the side you want hanging out the back. May need a little extra room and some padding to boost the pump off the ground so it is level with the sump. Also, airstone skimmers are the worst type, the skimmer on that other unit was a lot better. Also, states it is Unavailable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store