Help with ciclids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
So i have my ciclid tank set up now and i like it a lot. But i dont like the fact my fish like to hang out at the top. I tested the ammonia 0 nitrate is 0 PH is 7.8 and the nitrite is .50 or 1.00. Anyone have any answers? i also added a blue lobster/crayfish to the tank he seems to like Eyeballs because he killed 2 of my pictus catfish =-(. i am thinking on giving him a new home.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Nitrite is deadly, I would do water changes to get it to 0. Your fish are near the top trying to get more oxygen. Add an airstone until the nitrites go down that will help. Your water is a little cloudy, is the tank cycled?

Also the crayfish should be removed. The dragon goby would also be happier in brackish water.

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
My tank is cycled.I think it is the sand i wish i would have used gravel it is a pain to clean. i might put the lobster in my old 10 gallon because that is all that i have. i dont want all my fish with no eyes.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You definitely need to oxegenate the tank more. Cichlids are naturally very active fish, thus they require more oxygen. Add an airstone with a really strong pump, and you should be fine. That ropefish(?) won't last long with aggressive fish like African Cichlids.

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
do a quick 20 - 50% water change cant see what type of filter you have if you have a spray bar in there pull that out the water a little and it will make bubbles save you buying an airstone :)

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
the tank been set up for 8 weeks. i got most the lace rock from my old tank and i soak the sponges that go in the filter in it for 2 weeks in the old tank. I was thinking on buying an air stone today but dident. However that lobster is pissing me off the lady said he wont bother the fish well i am down 2 pictus cat and 1 iridescent shark. ( i see a hot future for that shrimp) lol j/k. i am going to hunt my old 10 gallon tank and put him in it.

sweetlowride

AC Members
Nov 3, 2009
Kelowna B.C Canada
It sounds like your cycle hasnt finished and the bacteria colony isn't large enough to cope with the bio-load produced by your fish. Im no expert but I dont think just soaking the sponges in an existing tank for two weeks would really do a whole lot. Did you just add the lace rock and put the sponges in the new filter and add fish? The bacteria needs time to grow and a source of food such as liquid ammonia for fishless cycling or you could use some hardy fish instead, Cichlids are not good fish to use during cycling.

What filter are you using? In the picture it looks like a whisper 60? If it is I would think about getting a better filter, I have two 55 gallon tanks that both came with the whisper and I found them to be terrible filters. A good low priced alternative is the Aqua Clear 70 or 110, I am currently using both and have been really pleased with them, They use a three stage filter including Foam,Carbon and BioMax.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store