raw muscles to jump start cycling?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I've heard of people using a couple pieces of cooked oyster in their tanks to help with cycling. Can i use raw muscles from the grocery store? ...throw a couple pieces in for 2 days or so? I have a couple pieces of live rock in my tank (almost cured). Fish are still weeks away from being purchased.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Never heard of cooked, but heard of raw. Normally people just get a jumbo shrimp from the grocery store, place it in a zip lock back and poke holes through the bag, then place in the tank. That will get it bump started as well.. but a muscle would do the same thing I would think. Just make sure you can take it out of the tank in 3-5 days, that is why putting it in a bag with holes is a good idea.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
unfortunately i didn't put the muscles in a bag. I assumed it would be better laying directly on the sand....oops! lol, luckily my aquascape is really open so I should have no problem removing them.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You're referring to mussels, right?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Oh ya.. I thought it was spelled differently. hahaha. See, here is Cali things have gotten so bad we cut muscle right off our Governor... seen him lately.. not quite the muscle man he used to be. Now you know why. LOL.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
LOL, I'm still waiting for someone to strap a 10 gallon to the back of a Schwinn, ride it around the block a couple of times and wonder why their fish died.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store