FOWLR predator tank questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
Ok i was brainstorming tonight on what to do with the 29g tank i have that one of the previous owners glues a mirror on the back of. That is when i got the idea of a predator tank. My plans so far are to stack my live rock somewhat high along the back to cover as much of the mirrored surface as possible and then let a couple damsels live in the tank by themselves for awhile to keep it cycled while coraline covers the rest of the back wall. Now some of the specifics i have come up with for the specs and possible(its the first night my mind may change on the exact species but this is just a general idea) stocking etc.

Filtration:
I am going to mod an AC110 into a refugium to help with the nitrates that i heard can form in a predator tank. Also the intake for the filter will be hidden in the rockwork so it will essentially be pulling water through the rock.
Im not sure no the exact poundage of live rock but im going to estimate around 35-45lbs depending on how the aquascaping looks and if i am able to cover enough of the back without totally tanking over the tank with rock.
Im thinking 2 koralia 2s plus the flow from the AC110 should be plenty of flow for this tank.
1-1.5in of live sand(depth will vary across the tank for a more natural look of course)

Livestock:
1 Leaf fish(Taenianotus triacanthus)
1 Saddle Valentini Puffer(Canthigaster valentini)

CUC:
10-15 Nassarius snails to help stir the sand and eat any uneaten meaty food that hits the sand.
1 serpent star
4-5 turbo snails

Macro:
I would like to have a corner of the tank with a nice macro field im not sure what kind of macroalgae yet i will be doing more searching to find out what i like the best.(suggestions welcome)

Now my questions:
I know that it can be difficult to keep a clean up crew in a predator tank but how does the clean up crew that i listed above sound and would you have an suggestions for substitutes or additions to the list?

Feather dusters. I know they filter the water and i believe this could be a good addition to a predator tank where the fish could be potentionally messy with their food as they would filter out some of the food particulates and they look cool too. Now would the above listed fish harm or bother feather dusters?

How does my stocking sound would you make any substitutions or additions?

What should i do about lighting since i will not have any corals i know i wont need high tech lighting would a regular single bulb light fixture be sufficient for this tank with a 6,000k-8,000k bulb? Any suggestions on any specific bulbs?

now i know i had more questions but i got distracted part of the way through typing this and forgot i will add them in replies to this thread if/when i remember them

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I know nothing about predator tanks but good luck. Now i know what not to buy for my 30 gal NEWBEE Tank.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I would recommend against housing both fish together. Tobies are notorious for picking on scorpionfishes and leaf fishes. This isn't out of aggression, but the latter resemble the substrate the tobies and other puffers would naturally graze upon. The same goes for most triggers, etc. I would reconsider your stocking plan to take that into account. The serpent star also may not last long. It doesn't always happen, but it isn't uncommon for tobies to munch on them, as well.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I don't usually like recommending fish like this. Maybe a comet/marine betta (Calloplesiops altivelis)? They aren't the most active fish, which rules in your favor, given the tank size--not to mention they are hardy and relatively peaceful (as long as they can't eat it).

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Would a fish that gets 8" be suitable in a 29G tank? I think every marine betta I have ever seen was about full grown, 7-8", so either they don't come in small often, or they grow up very fast, not sure which is the case. I agree they are very inactive fish. I am just picturing the ones I have seen being put in my 29G, it would be like 1/2 the tank just for that fish. Just asking the question.. I really don't know if it would be ok. FW bettas are oddballs as well so maybe the marines are the same, like being in small homes.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
nah i looked at marine betta n im not a huge fan of them they look good and all i just dont think they would go well with this tank that and they get quite a bit bigger than any fish i want in this tank. Im looking at around 5in for the max size MAYBE 6in

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Would a fish that gets 8" be suitable in a 29G tank? I think every marine betta I have ever seen was about full grown, 7-8", so either they don't come in small often, or they grow up very fast, not sure which is the case. I agree they are very inactive fish. I am just picturing the ones I have seen being put in my 29G, it would be like 1/2 the tank just for that fish. Just asking the question.. I really don't know if it would be ok. FW bettas are oddballs as well so maybe the marines are the same, like being in small homes.
You've seen some large ones then. The most common adult size I've seen is ~5". If you've seen one moving around, they don't really move much at all. Also, keep in mind that 8" is the maximum recorded size out of all individuals, too. I suppose at this point it is up to the individual. These guys aren't incredibly active at all, so it isn't like putting a tang or anything of that sort in there. Granted, a larger tank could and would be preferable for any fish, I would consider this tank size the minimum and still be reasonable for this species. JMHO.

Edit: now you know one reason why I don't like recommending fish. Everyone's view on particulars of every fish are different. There are those that wouldn't add a single fish to anything smaller than a 75 gallon (seriously), whereas there are others who would pack 12 fish in a 20 gallon.

Last edited:

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
yea the marine bettas are nice just not what im looking for i have gotten another idea though.

how would the leaf fish do with another scorpion fish of a different species like a sailfin scorpion fish and or an angler or hawkfish or any combination with the leaf fish with no free swimming fish and plenty of rock work with plenty of ledges and caves

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
One of the smaller hawkfish species would be fine. Two leaf fish don't seem to bother each other, IME. At one point, I was keeping a little leaf fish and a equally small waspfish. They got along wonderfully. I'd recommend against the angler/frogfish. They will eat almost anything, poisonous or not. They are great by themselves, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store