clean up crew

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I have my 75 cycling with live rock right now. I'm planning on two ocellaris or percula clowns (everything else is up in the air). I was on a web site that sells clean up crew packages. The package for my tank had like 65 blue leg hermit crabs, a bunch of snails and various other things. all are these necessary for a fowlr tank? if not, what would be a decent clean up crew to have?

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
hmm... as long as yer not gonna get anything that eats inverts....
about 50 nassarius snails
5 peppermint shrimp
1 brittle or serpent star
8 turbo snails
15 blue legged hermit crabs

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
wouldn't 50 1" snails seem like I have a snail farm instead of an aquarium? lol, sorry, I just cant picture that many (plus hermits) in a tank. Could just be my lack of experience wth SW.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Believe me, you'll hardly even know they're there.

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
Believe me, you'll hardly even know they're there.
exactly. they stay underground most of the time, but when you feed the tank, it looks like night of the living dead! they all crawl up out of the gravel rather quickly.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Personally, I wouldn't purchase a cleanup crue of that size straight off the bat.

I'd start small, and increase as I go along.

I definately wouldn't start off with 65 hermits in a 75 gallon. If I were to start over, I prob. wouldn't get any hermits...

I'd go for

- nassarius snails
- cerith snails
- nerite snails
- turbos (I have mexican turbos, they can eat!)
- a serpant star.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store