Sick Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
My goldfish seem to be sick. Can anyone help? They aren't swimming as much as they normally do. My koi died overnight and that really worries me. The goldfish also have a listlessness and wont move when i touch them with my net. The worst one got stuck to the filter intake he was so listless. PLEASE HELP. I also fed them rosy reds yesterday just incase that helps id the sickness.
They are common goldfish from 3-8 in long and there stomachs are really soft. Other then that all i know is that they are listless.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Please help. I'll check on this in 30-60-or 90 min.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Sorry i took so long we had to get the tree. Im thawing out even as we type.:Angel: The water parameters... Well i haven't checked in forever.:irked: I dont even have a check kit. My idea was if the fish are fine then no problems. No they do not appear to be bottom sitting. The worst one still cant seem to move voluntarily.:nilly:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Hmm. Could be a lot of things. What were the koi doing when you lost them? Listless too? Any change in coloration of either the goldfish or koi? How long has your tank been up? Any possibility that there has been an ammonia spike? When/how much was the last water change?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I haven't changed the water since i move the koi in about 4-5 months ago. The Koi died at night so i dk what they were like. The goldfish look the same as always except for the listlessness.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I am assuming this is a pretty big tank if you are keeping koi and goldfish in it. (Sorry if I missed this, earlier.) You might try a 25% water change with dechlorinator in it to see if their listless behavior improves. You can never go wrong with a partial water change. I would think that sticking to the filter suggests something much more serious, however. Any sign of injury to the worst one? Any signs of aggression in the tank among the goldfish?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
No aggression except with eating. Then they all try to eat faster then the rest. The koi just tried to keep up with the goldfish. Also the koi were only in there till sprig when i put in my pond. The tank was 40 gal. No injury i can see.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Well-- I took a look at the pictures that you had posted. Beautiful goldfish! It looked like a pretty crowded tank, though. It is quite possible that the waste from the goldfish and koi has reached toxic levels. I have two tanks of goldfish (60G 45G) and they have slightly less than 13.5 gallons/fish. (which, I admit, is overcrowded) Even with that, I run triple filtration on the tanks and do 20% water changes every other week. Most of the other goldie people on here do similar things. I am going to stick to my guns and recommend a water change of AT LEAST 20%. I think you might see a difference if the issue is toxicity of the water from waste.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store