Weather and ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fan_of_fins

Registered Member
Dec 19, 2009
So glad I found this site because I have an interesting observation/question. Does anyone else out there have goldfish that get sick/stressed when the weather changes? Mine do very well until we have a cold front or nasty weather come in. Then they all go to the bottom and start iching up. A 50% water change and tablespoon salt:5 gallons water brings them out of it. 55 gallon tank, 2 OTB bio filters, vaccum monthly anyway and change the filter carts, house stays a constant temp (67). Biggest fish in the tank is about 1" long, the rest are smaller, have 20 all together. These are your run of the mill feeders that I used to set the tank up, however their personalities are like a little community of people. Anyone have any pointers on this or if anyone else has observed this please let me know. LOL! Might be good research!

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
You said you have 20 goldies all together? What size tank is this? How often do you do the water changes? You said gravel vacs once a month? I have a suspicion it has nothing to do with the weather as much as an overstocked/underfiltered tank.

Louiedee83

AC Members
Dec 17, 2009
Hi fan_of_fins,

A couple of things you mentioned stood out to me. Firstly, do you only do water changes once per month or only vacuum once per month? How often and how much water do you usually change?

Secondly, you really don't need to throw away your filter cartridges unless they are literally falling apart. A rinse in discarded tank water is the best thing for your tank. This is because when you throw away filter media, you throw away good bacteria.

Thirdly, 20 fish in 55 gallons is way too many fish. Although they are only small at the moment, they will grow up fast and you will either have to rehome them, or get a larger tank. For a 55 gallon, you can really only accommodate 5-6 fancy goldfish. If they are single-tailed fish, less than that.

How long has your tank been set up and what are your water parametres?

Last edited:

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
Hi fan_of_fins,

A couple of things you mentioned stood out to me. Firstly, do you only do water changes once per month or only vacuum once per month? How often and how much water do you usually change?

Secondly, you really don't need to throw away your filter cartridges unless they are literally falling apart. A rinse in discarded tank water is the best thing for your tank. This is because when you throw away filter media, you throw away good bacteria.

Thirdly, 20 fish in 55 gallons is way too many fish. Although they are only small at the moment, they will grow up fast and you will either have to rehome them, or get a larger tank. For a 55 gallon, you can really only accommodate 5-6 fancy goldfish. If they are single-tailed fish, less than that.

How long has your tank been set up and what are your water parametres?
actually most goldie people you talk to will tell you 30g for the first and 10g for each additional. so for a 55, you're looking at 3-4 with good filtration and religious water changes

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
It's more of a general guideline. I personally think 5-6 should be fine but it depends a whole lot on what variety you keep. Not all fancies grow similarly in size. Siamese dolls, bubble eyes and celestials are usually smaller. The largest ones are orandas, ranchus, lionheads, fantails, ryukins and black moors.

fan_of_fins

Registered Member
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for the input. In answer to some of the questions: No fancies-just small feeders. I do plan on moving some of the kids out to my pond this spring so that it will make way for the remaining ones to grow. 50% water change every three weeks with a serious vacuuming. The over the back filters I have are rated to handle a 55 gallon tank individually-I have two of them (penquin bio wheel 300). I have a large bubble disk in the middle of the tank for better circulation. In the beginning I had WAY TOO MANY tank ornaments and plants-removed 90% and that helped circulation a great deal. The problem I am having is that I can do a water change or vacuum and even if its two days later these guys will stress if the weather changes. All of the values in my tank have come up normal time and time again. Even bought a new kit to be sure! Like today- we had a nasty snow front come through over the past two days. 50% water change last night and they are happy as peaches! Just feels unusual I guess-never had this problem with goldies before.

Louiedee83

AC Members
Dec 17, 2009
I think you will find that if you step your water changes up to weekly, your fish will be happier for it. With goldfish, you should ideally be turning over 10x the tanks volume per hour because they are such super poopers. So for your 55 gallon tank, you should be moving at least 550 gallons of water per hour.

I'm not sure about this one, but I remember hearing something AGES ago about fish responding to changes in air pressure with sever weather events, but I cannot be certain of it's legitmacy. Either way, I think you will find that your fish will be much happier in the long run for extra water changes.

fan_of_fins

Registered Member
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks Louiedee83, I guess I will have to kick in more water changes. Since I usually do a 50% change each time, should I add my salt each time?

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You don't need to add any salt when you do a water change. Salt is used to control some diseases but treating healthy goldfish can damage their health.

Keeping the 20 babies in the tank until spring is not going to cause any problems. Just be sure to move them outside into a larger pond when you have the chance. 20 goldfish need a pond of at least 3-400 gallons (filtered) in the pond environment. How big is your pond?

I am curious as to what you are describing as ich? Ich is a parasite that looks like little grains of salt scattered all over the bodies of the fish. Feeders generally come infected with numerous diseases that often people just assume is ich. If you could post some pictures of them when they look ill we could diagnose the issue.

fan_of_fins

Registered Member
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks V! Sorry it's been so long getting back with you on your suggestion. I have done as you guys have recommended with the water changes and things seem to be going well for now. i have had only one episode where this problem came up again and again salt helpped to clear it right up. And yes, again, it was with funky weather. I'm now convinced my goldies can forcast better than the weathermen can! As far as what the ich looks like....starts with the small white spots like you are describing and then goes to thier fins and covers small patches of their little bodies. I will try to get some pics posted soon-LOL I'll have to keep an eye on the weather! Like I said they seem to be doing fine for now. Can't wait for spring! BTW-when I do get to move my kids outside what do you recommend to keep varmits out of my pond and eating my fish, other than a net if possible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store