Viquariums or Paludriums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

STraBO

An Image of Ron Livingston
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Visit site
DOes anyone here do viquariums. I think it would be cool to make one with a river. Or tunnels for fish that go under the landpart of it. maybe in a large tank have several islands and a mainland all seperated by rivers and bodies of water.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
By the way...

What the heck is a Viquarium or a Paludrium?

I gather from context that they are aquarium/terrarium hybrids, but could you explain in more detail? I have been considering an upgrade to my turtle tank that might be one of these things.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Viquarium? Paludrium?

I guess I've been looking in some cruddy dictionaries, but I can't find either of these words and I didn't take Latin in school. Other than the context clues, I don't know what these mean. Help!

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Hah! I found them!

Vivarium is quite generic: any enclosure designed to mimic the habitat of a creature. I suppose some good zoo cages could be considered vivaria. In this context, I would imagine we would be talking about a riverine environment.

Paludrium is more specific: a swamp/marsh/fen themed aquarium.

Thanks for asking the weird question, STraBO (or whatever your name is for the moment ;) )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store