What kind of skimmer should I use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VolitansLover

Registered Member
Dec 20, 2009
I'm in the process of setting up two saltwater tanks, one 35 galloons, one 55 gallons. This is my first time assembling fish tanks with skimmers included, and I'm having trouble deciding what brand of skimmer to use, since most are made for heavy duty 75+ gallon tanks. I'm on a bit of a budget but i don't want to skimp on the skimmer. Any suggestions for a brand of skimmer to use for a 55 gallon and a 35 gallon tank? Thanks.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
will you be using a sump? if so that will narrow down your search a tiny bit if you will not be using a sump that greatly reduces you choices.

now i dont know much about skimmers that are in sump skimmers but i do know tha HOB skimmers like the BakPak2(and 2+R or whatever its called) are good HOB skimmers

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
For skimmers you first want to pick one that is double the size of your aquarium. For Example. Your 55 gallon tank should have a skimmer rated for a 100 gallon aquarium, your 35 gallon should handle say a 75 gallon.

You are right, you dont want to skimp on the skimmers. I myself have never used a Bak Pak skimmer so I dont know how well they work. But I have used a number of skimmers that can be used in a sump or hang off the aquarium which ever you want.

Coralife super skimmers are great and are well made and have the option to hang on the tank or plasce in a sump or hang it off of the sump. Vortex Skimmers can do the same and work great.

VolitansLover

Registered Member
Dec 20, 2009
For skimmers you first want to pick one that is double the size of your aquarium. For Example. Your 55 gallon tank should have a skimmer rated for a 100 gallon aquarium, your 35 gallon should handle say a 75 gallon.

You are right, you dont want to skimp on the skimmers. I myself have never used a Bak Pak skimmer so I dont know how well they work. But I have used a number of skimmers that can be used in a sump or hang off the aquarium which ever you want.

Coralife super skimmers are great and are well made and have the option to hang on the tank or plasce in a sump or hang it off of the sump. Vortex Skimmers can do the same and work great.
Thankyou, those were the skimmers at the top of my list! it's nice to be reassured of their performance without a sales pitch from some employee at an aquarium store.

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
I had a coral life super skimmer and it skimmmed like mad! although it was loud as heck, a major air bubble producer and very ugly IMO. A remora c pro is much less intrusive looking and mine has worked great on my 46 bow for over 2 years.

The skimmer overflow box on the remora c makes it almost invisible in the back of the tank. I don't know about the other skimmers, but I would definitely stay away from the coral life ss for a HOB,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store