BN Pair and Angel in 29G

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Can I house a BN pair in a 29G with an angel without any issues? The problem is going to be finding a male BN. I moved my female angel out of the 29G last night, and now the tank is pretty empty.

I know BN's are bottom dwellers, but it might be neat to put a male in with the female I currently have. Problem will then be finding a male anywhere that I can sex before bringing it home.

Thanks.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
That should be just fine!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
So, whilst I sit here wondering about adding a male BN pleco. I just noticed that my female BN pleco has damage to almost all of her fins. Some of them to the point that the fin is almost gone entirely, has some bloody marks on them.

The angel that I removed from the tank, and the remaining angel are both fine, and I have never witnessed them attacking the BN. The one thing I did notice though, I recently put some fake plants back in the tank as I was struggling with live plants. I had these plants in previously, but removed them to try live plants. I remembered that one of the plants has these little bumps on the leaves, that if I run my fingers across them are somewhat sharp.

Could these have over the past few weeks caused enough damage to my pleco's fins that they are now in the sorry state they currently are? I imagine if they feel sharp to me, that to the fish fins they must be incredibly sharp, and especially with a pleco that would effectively be constantly rubbing over those leaves have shown the most damage?

I have since removed the plant, and since yesterday carried out 2 x 40% water changes. I also dosed some Melafix that I have on hand. Hoping that the plant is the problem, will the plecos fins grow back?

thanks.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
IME angels and Bns go very well together.

Keep up with the water changes and melafix and the fins should grow back. That much damage I can't believe it is becasue of a plastic plant, unless its made of razor wire. Was she moved recently? Any physical trauma? How long have you had the fish and how long has the tank been up and running and stocked?

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Keep up with the water changes and melafix and the fins should grow back. That much damage I can't believe it is becasue of a plastic plant, unless its made of razor wire. Was she moved recently? Any physical trauma? How long have you had the fish and how long has the tank been up and running and stocked?
No moves recently, no physical damage other than the fins, had the fish for around 10-12 months, tank has been up and running for probably 2 years.

I wish you could feel the plant, its like hard plastic raised dots, that are pretty sharp. My first thought was that I had not been doing a good job on keeping the tank clean, but I change 50% weekly, feed only once a day and have fast days during the week. So can only think of it being either the angels or the plant.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It's possible the rough plants caused some damage as she scraped them moving in between the leaves. My longfins scrape the edges of their fins going along and into and out of the driftwood crevices. Lots of clean water and maybe try some silk plants.

Last edited:

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Sounds like you are doing everything right, the fins should grow back just fine. Where are you located? maybe I can help you get a line on an adult male BN.

You can also get a couple juvies and let them grow up. You'll be fine with 3-4 BN in the tank with just the angel.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Sounds like you are doing everything right, the fins should grow back just fine. Where are you located? maybe I can help you get a line on an adult male BN.

You can also get a couple juvies and let them grow up. You'll be fine with 3-4 BN in the tank with just the angel.
Hopefully daily WC should get them growing back quickly. I am in North VA, may try the couple juvies, but would worry if I ended up with all females. Either way I plan to wait until my females fins have recovered, but let me know if you find a male for sale, thanks.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Sorry, I won't ship. If you were close by you could come by and grab one,but VA is too far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store