New and need suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ReaRea11

AC Members
Dec 22, 2009
TN
rearea.deviantart.com
First off hi, I'm new to the forums.

My story: I'm not new to fish just new to brackish fish. I have a 35gal tank that I've had since middle school. My tank occupants have always been 1 male betta, 2 bala sharks, 1 red fin black and 1 red tail black. Some web site many years ago laid out fish types, compatibilities, tank levels etc and somehow I came up with this as a good mix. I've had 3 different sets of this group. My 1st set i dont remember what their demise was, the second I had for a while but when I went off to boot camp my dad let my little sister overfeed them which killed them. I've never had any aggression between any of my groups. My last group just recently died (2 months ago) I dont know how my betta died, then about 2 months after he died the balas got ich, then about a week later the red tail and red fin were gone so all I had left was a chinese algae eater.
I work at Wally and frequent the fish section to take care of them (even tho its not my dept but the person there isnt a animal person, much less a fish person) and I had been eyeing some, as they were labeled "dinosaur fish" because they would always died quick. So with an empty tank i figured I'd give one a shot and maybe find out why they didnt live long. I looked up a lot of info, even set up a breeder tank for feeders since they eat live food, got some plants then went to get the fish, looked at it more and found out it was mislabeled (I know, working there I should have known better) -_- Turned out to be a "dragon fish" or violet goby
So then I went out and bought sea salt for him and have been slowing adding it to the tank. I finally got my hands on a 55gal tank and stand for $100, set it up with sand and he went in last night, he's been doing great, doesn't bump into the sides of the tank for one. So once again my 35 was empty except for the CAE. We had 1 peacock cichlid I was refraining from selling to customers because it was getting aggressive to the other cichlids in the tank and if after being sold, killed other fish and was returned, we would have to flush it. So I figured he'd be a nice candidate for the 35gal. It was picking at the CAE for the first few days but now they're fine.

My question (i know about time): Since the violet goby doesnt require high salt levels would the cichlid tolerate being in the tank with the salt? I cant find any other brackish fish locally except puffers, mollies, guppies, and columbian cats. I've been looking into a brackish fish that wont get too big and will eat feeders and set out asking all of our pet shops if they would be able to order a Dusky Panther Goby or bumblebee goby but they all said no and paying $40 to ship a $10 fish is kind of...outrageous.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

A pic of my violet when he was in the 35 last month

CAE

peacock cichlid

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

cichlid_starter

AC Members
Dec 21, 2009
Indianapolis
First off hi, I'm new to the forums.

My story: I'm not new to fish just new to brackish fish. I have a 35gal tank that I've had since middle school. My tank occupants have always been 1 male betta, 2 bala sharks, 1 red fin black and 1 red tail black. Some web site many years ago laid out fish types, compatibilities, tank levels etc and somehow I came up with this as a good mix. I've had 3 different sets of this group. My 1st set i dont remember what their demise was, the second I had for a while but when I went off to boot camp my dad let my little sister overfeed them which killed them. I've never had any aggression between any of my groups. My last group just recently died (2 months ago) I dont know how my betta died, then about 2 months after he died the balas got ich, then about a week later the red tail and red fin were gone so all I had left was a chinese algae eater.
I work at Wally and frequent the fish section to take care of them (even tho its not my dept but the person there isnt a animal person, much less a fish person) and I had been eyeing some, as they were labeled "dinosaur fish" because they would always died quick. So with an empty tank i figured I'd give one a shot and maybe find out why they didnt live long. I looked up a lot of info, even set up a breeder tank for feeders since they eat live food, got some plants then went to get the fish, looked at it more and found out it was mislabeled (I know, working there I should have known better) -_- Turned out to be a "dragon fish" or violet goby
So then I went out and bought sea salt for him and have been slowing adding it to the tank. I finally got my hands on a 55gal tank and stand for $100, set it up with sand and he went in last night, he's been doing great, doesn't bump into the sides of the tank for one. So once again my 35 was empty except for the CAE. We had 1 peacock cichlid I was refraining from selling to customers because it was getting aggressive to the other cichlids in the tank and if after being sold, killed other fish and was returned, we would have to flush it. So I figured he'd be a nice candidate for the 35gal. It was picking at the CAE for the first few days but now they're fine.

My question (i know about time): Since the violet goby doesnt require high salt levels would the cichlid tolerate being in the tank with the salt? I cant find any other brackish fish locally except puffers, mollies, guppies, and columbian cats. I've been looking into a brackish fish that wont get too big and will eat feeders and set out asking all of our pet shops if they would be able to order a Dusky Panther Goby or bumblebee goby but they all said no and paying $40 to ship a $10 fish is kind of...outrageous.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

A pic of my violet when he was in the 35 last month

CAE

peacock cichlid
Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully I can help you out.

The first inhabitants of you 35gal (the sharks) would have been enough to fill a 100gal tank at their adult sizes. So depending on how big the last group was you may have lost them to tank levels. (just my guess)

No, the peacock will probably not tolerate the salt. Not for too long anyway.

Pufferpunk talked me into my first Figure 8 puffer. I love it. I recommend any puffer. Great fish with huge personalities. As for mixing them with your goby, I don't know yet but I'm looking into some good mixes for you.

Now I have a couple questions for YOU.

What area do you live in, what size is your feeder tank and what are you planning to breed as feeders?

Hope I'm helping.

cichlid_starter

AC Members
Dec 21, 2009
Indianapolis
Here is a website that give you some possible combos for your tank. Some of them however are questionable but I still think it will help you out.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

Keep asking questions and listen to those who know what they are talking about, like pufferpunk, who know from experience and not from what they just read off google. That's where I have gotten the BEST advise from. (experienced people, not google lol)

ReaRea11

AC Members
Dec 22, 2009
TN
rearea.deviantart.com
Most cichlids don't belong in BW. Neither does that CAE. It will eventually affect them both negatively. There are BW cichlids called chromides.

Here's an article on your goby: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/misc/theres-a-dragon-in-my-tank/
I looked for chromides as well. But no luck. I went to the shops with a list.

Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully I can help you out.

The first inhabitants of you 35gal (the sharks) would have been enough to fill a 100gal tank at their adult sizes. So depending on how big the last group was you may have lost them to tank levels. (just my guess)

No, the peacock will probably not tolerate the salt. Not for too long anyway.

Pufferpunk talked me into my first Figure 8 puffer. I love it. I recommend any puffer. Great fish with huge personalities. As for mixing them with your goby, I don't know yet but I'm looking into some good mixes for you.

Now I have a couple questions for YOU.

What area do you live in, what size is your feeder tank and what are you planning to breed as feeders?

Hope I'm helping.
I was quite aware they were going to get big but they were purchased small and with my last bunch I was looking for a new tank since they were growing quicker than any of my other groups but like i said they got ich. I was kinda upset too because I was excited about them getting bigger. -_-

I thought about getting a puffer but I dont want to get one and wind up with a dead goby either. I kinda want something uncommon which is half my problem I guess lol

Answer: in TN. PetsMart told me my best bet was to go to an aquarium place in nashville and ask them to order. And the feeder tank is a 20 gallon I got from a friend. Only one of the mollies had babies, I put 7 in the 55gal so they dont overcroud the 20 until they get bigger, if they start to overcrowd, my sister has 3 oscars that would be glad to do population control. I told my little sister it was a tank for her fish so she has 2 male fancy guppies, and i added 2 mollies and 3 feeder guppies.

Here is a website that give you some possible combos for your tank. Some of them however are questionable but I still think it will help you out.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

Keep asking questions and listen to those who know what they are talking about, like pufferpunk, who know from experience and not from what they just read off google. That's where I have gotten the BEST advise from. (experienced people, not google lol)
My main problem is FINDING the fish, lol. One pet shop said to try in the summer time (breeding season) and she said they can probably get pretty much of anything

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Chromides are near impossible to find. I am blesses living in Chicago, where we have tons of LFS & some carry a lot of exotic stuff. I have been keeping figure 8 puffers & dragons successfully for many years. Just be sure the goby has lots of hiding spots to retreat into.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I"ve got a figure 8 puffer tank with bumblebee gobies and mollies. Having seen the different personalities of my 2, I would have to be hesitant mixing a figure 8 puffer with a violet goby if you don't have a lot of spaces for the violet goby to hide. F8s, like all puffers, can be very sensitive to water conditions and meds, so I'd recommend getting your feet wet with the brackish and all before going to puffers. I think it can definitely work, but if you do get a more aggressive F8, it will likely pick at the more sedate goby and/or rob it of food. You will likely have to target feed the goby if you add other types of fish.

My guess about why they all die is partly that they often have trouble feeding in a community because the other fish get to the food first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store