Something's wrong

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Timberwolf

Slow learner
Dec 9, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA, USA
My wife's goldfish tank is beginning to have some serious problems and I'd like to get everyone better before we lose Calvin (Oranda) and Hobbes (Ryukin) I am fairly sure that the problems are fungal, but in the chance that I'm wrong, are products like Pimafix and Melafix going to crash the filters? Right now, she is running a Penguin 150 and a UGF. water is quite hard, a little sulphrous, and fairly basic. With ambient temperature only, the tank tamp stays aroung 77F.
:help2:

On another issue, I have several livebearers and yesterday, one of my red platties started laying eggs. I had put her and one of my red-wag platy femails in breeding trap and the red wag seems to have aborted. Is it likely that I caused her to abort by puttyng her into the trap too early?

Thanks for the advice.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Welcome to AC. What are your water parameters? Mela and Pimafix is not a strong medication, but light. I would recommend using Maracyn in conjunction with Maracyn 2 for the infections.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
:welcome: to AC and Merry Christmas!

Could you please answer these questions so we can find out more about this situation with your goldfish? Could you please post pics of their infections as well?

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH)? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
Chances are good your problem may be bacterial infection more than fungal infection. The latter is a bit harder to come by but pics posted will help us verify your problem faster and resolve the issue before it takes its toll on your fish. Melafix and Pimafix, being herbal meds, work best as preventive treatments to secondary infections but not as corrective treatments. It's pointless trying these meds for suspected bacterial/fungal infections. They will not harm your beneficial bacteria but there is no point using them when they will not work on your fish's issues.

Your platy appears stressed hence she dropped the fry prematurely. A heavily planted tank is your best bet to ensure she safely gives birth. Breeder traps are simply evil things that add stress to the fish due to lack of security and comfort to the poor fish.

Anna Robinson

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Melafix and Pimafix are harmless to filter bacteria, either together or separately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store