Replacing Light Bulb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yoman222

Registered Member
Dec 25, 2009
Hi all,

We currently have a 30gallon fish only marine aquarium and are considering changing the light bulb (after having used the tank manufacturer supplied bulb up to now, ~10 years) The current bulb is a GE Aqua Rays 30W "color enhancing" bulb with a temperature of 9325K. Would it make sense to replace this bulb with one exactly of the same kind or should we take a look at other types of bulbs? I know there are wide variety of different bulbs out there, some with a specific purpose of enhancing coral growth or providing a more natural marine environment, for example. However, this is all a little confusing to me. I'm wondering if you guys could shed some light for me (no pun intended :)) on the different types of bulbs, and what I should be looking at as the best choice for a fish only marine tank. Thanks in advance.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
if youre only lighting fish you can get whatever color you like, i guess get at least 6500k cuz lower than that is more beneficial to algae

the higher the color temp the bluer the light will appear. i guess just stay away from only an actinic since that will make your tank look very dim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store