Odd lesions on Oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I have a little 2 inch or so oranda that I have had for three days now. He shows a few small, strange looking lesions in his wen area. They are red, raised bumps, white and almost pustule looking in the center. Very similar to a regular ole pimple. He is in QT already, being new, and I am unsure whether to treat with an antibiotic or an antiparisite medication. I have also read that this can be just new wen growth, so I am unsure whether to treat at all.

I saw this once before on another one of my goldfish, a long time ago. The fish was also an oranda (oranda/ryukin cross, Yue, rather, as actually the new one is too.) The only place I have seen these bumps is on the wen area.

I have looked all over for a picture of something similar, and can't seem to find one. I don't have any way to upload a pic of mine at the moment either :(

Any ideas?

Kristina

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Kris, could you please email me a photo of the lesions? My email is the same in the MSN you have. I'll post it here for you once I have it. I'd need the photos to see if a swab or antibiotics may be needed. Doesn't sound parasitic but bacterial to me.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I have absolutely no way to upload pics. The problem isn't that I can't post them, I can't get them on the computer. I still have no internet access at home and my camera will not download to a computer unless the software is installed. Hard to do on a public computer. :(

I have done some more searching and honestly, I think they are "wen pimples," or, new wen growth. They dissapear after a day or two, and look the same as pictures that I (finally!) found. I could not find any illness or disease that looked even close. All this panic over nothing, apparently, lol. I guess my homemade food induces wen growth :) Yue is 8 inches long and 4 years old and just now developing a wen, lol, after coming to live with me a few months ago.

Kristina

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Here is an example of what it looks like.

Oranda/RanchuLV

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
Did the lump used to be huge? I have a red tailed oranda and for a year and 2 months his hood grew evenly, really nice looking, but tonight out of nowhere a huge lump is on his head with a white spot smack in the middle. It looks horrible. He does not seemed fazed by this at all. Does this sound like wen growth?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
No, it was never a huge lump, just a tiny white pimple like in the pic that I posted. I would post pics of your fish, and hopefully get a positive diagnosis. It sounds like it could be a tumor or other unwelcome growth.

I have become convinced that what was on my fish was simply a "wen pimple." I have seen it in two of my other orandas, and they are always gone within a day or two.

Kristina

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I've had mine have these, Kris. They should disappear over time. I think it is a "wen pimple" as you put it. If it spreads, I would look into something else. My redcap got them several times as a juvie, as did my solid orange oranda. They both have high-crested wens, and the dots went away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store