Red claw crab help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrobinson200

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
Hi everyone
I purchased 2 red claw crabs today! i have them settled in their tank but want some help off you guys! I want to know everything i possibly can to keep them alive and healthy.
I have what i think is 2 males, i cant get to them to look underneath yet. they seem to be quite happy wit each other at the moment, they hapily share the rock space together and were nibbling off the same piece of food before, does that sound ok?!
right i know the following,
they need water and land space. check.
they need the water roughly 25c. check.
a filter. check.
can escpae easily. check.
they molt and when they do they wont eat for a few days/week and will hide awya and then eat their shell hopefully.
they eat a variety of foods eg, veg, peas, pellets, blood worms etc.

i need to know how often to feed them and how much?
i am going to get a water tester too to check the ammonia nitrate levels. ive heard of the 1/2 tap water and 1/2 filtered water, is this correct?
and to do a 10% water change daily for the first few weeks?
thanks!

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
Looks like they are fine now. Is the tank cycled? If it isnt you might be in some trouble. In the event that it isnt cycled do 25% water changes daily.

jrobinson200

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
hi, no noone advised me to cycle the tank first, but i will do the 25% water change daily, wheni do this should i add more of the aquarium salt or just put the plain water straight in? my brother didnt cycle his tank for his rainbow crabs either and his have been alive a good while :s

jrobinson200

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
hi i have realised i have used aquarium salt and have just read i should have used marine salt???? is this the case? im going to take it back tomorrow and change it, but as for the tank should i change all the water? or just partially change it untill i can do the entire tank in a few days when they have settled in? dont want to unsettle them

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I would think the types of salt does make the differences since NaCl alone is not what compose natural saltwater.

unless what you have are strictly f/w crabs, I would used synthetic salt made for S/W aquarium.

As far as cycling of water, I would not worry too much as i am confident that crabs will avoid water which does not suit them.
Never do complete changes as such changes may cause delays in cycling.
Do small water changes regularly once tank is well established.

If one's set up is filled to top of the tank (no land area), then should avoid exposure to high NH3/NO2.

Had the pleasure of observing females performing dances to release the eggs on numerous occassions. Many variety of crabs including which were caught locally. Released most local offsprings every spring/summer except ones which are too small to notice, hidden in crevices.
I have one crab left about the size of dime growing 10G tank, presumed to be about a 9-12 month old.

Dont kill your self trying to do unnecessary water changes with your lovely set up.

jrobinson200

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
ok, so shold i just change a few tub fulls of water every day then to try and get the aquarium salt out? but then when should i put the marine salt in? trhanks

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
No, just add the appropriate amt of s/w salt per water changes. Just replace what you took out per water change. Ty keeping your SG steady at all times except during rainy season which shoud indicater lowered SG.
How many gallons of water do you think you have in this tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store